Forms help for newbie

oaishm

Board Regular
I've look in so many books. I want to make this super easy form. I have an unbound text [code1] in form [frmTest] which is itself bound to a query select * from test where code1=forms!frmTest!code1
I made a bound text field in the form called date which is bound to the query field date. I want the date to change when I change the code field.

I made an event for after update of field [code1] which was just simply forms![frmTest].requery

This has failed on many fronts. I miss php and mysql. Anyway

When do we refer to fields as forms!frmTest!code1 or frmTest!code1
How do I actually link a query to the value of a field in the form
How do I reset the form after there is a value in the form so the underlying query is reset
how does the form get updated with the new data

No alas, it still doesn't work. I've now tried setting the rowsource of my form to select * from dbo_MenuItem and my filter to plu='Me.Combo' which obviously is wrong. I've tried Combo0 and 736870059441. the 736870059441 works, but it isn't very dynamic.

Then I tried to put an after update event on my Combo box:

Private Sub Combo0_AfterUpdate()
Me.Filter = "PLU = " & Me.Combo0
Me.FilterOn = True
End Sub

and I get a you tried a you canceled the previous operation error, whatever that means. Google says it means my database is corrupted but I started a brand new database and just made two little tables to play with this. Unbelievable, this is never going to work.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Finally. It took days!!

Here is the killer solution. If you're going to filter on a TEXT FIELD!!! you have to make this ridiculous syntax:

Me.Filter = "PLU = """ & Combo0 & """"
Me.FilterOn = True
End Sub

That's right. Four quotes because Microsoft can't escape with a backslash like the rest of the world and the filter is not loosely typed like the rest of the world. I wonder now if I can just keep changing the form control source to "select * from dbo_MenuItems where PLU = """ & Combo0 & """"

Yup,

this works

Me.RecordSource = "Select * from Menuitemsbeforemod092509 where PLU = """ & Combo0 & """"
Me.Refresh
End Sub

So does this

Me.RecordSource = "Select * from Menuitemsbeforemod092509 where PLU = """ & Combo0 & """"
Me.Requery
End Sub

No reason for the difference.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back