Forms populating to column instead of row

Doc6161

Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. My question is regarding info from MS Forms transferring to an Excel sheet. I have the forms set up to populate to a single dedicated sheet. However I am trying to see if there is a way to have it add info to the column of the same person instead of creating a whole new row and having multiples of the same individual. For example when the MS Form is filled out with the ID, name, DOS, and Charge it will go to the excel sheet as such. However what I'm looking to do is to add new info to John Smith's existing row just in the new column (***) as opposed to adding a whole new row.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

IDCLIENT NAMEDATE OF SERVICECharge 1***
9785John Smith2-3-2022$500
9780Jane Smith3-4-2022$550
9781Jim Smith5-6-2022$560
9782Joe Smith6-7-2022$570
9783Jack Smith7-8-2022$580
9784Jennifer Smith8-9-2022$590

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Do you have any specific reasons for wanting to set it out in that way?

For multiple instances of the same information, multiple rows for the same person is the more normal way of doing things and will be much easier to work with if you need to summarise your data at any point. You should only really use additional columns for different information, for example, to mark the charge as paid.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

You should be able to use a VLOOKUP function to look up the title of the book from your Working Inventory list, based on the ISBN/ID.
See here for details and examples: Excel formula: VLOOKUP from another sheet | Exceljet

Do you have any specific reasons for wanting to set it out in that way?

For multiple instances of the same information, multiple rows for the same person is the more normal way of doing things and will be much easier to work with if you need to summarise your data at any point. You should only really use additional columns for different information, for example, to mark the charge as paid.

Actually the new columns will have new information. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that in my initial post. And aside from that this is actually a task I'm doing for someone and that's just the way they claim they want it. Not totally sure of their reasoning.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it can be done or not, when I first read your question, I thought that you were using an userform, after looking again I had a nagging feeling that I was missing something.
MS Forms is not something that I was aware until of looking it up just now and and as such is something that I have not previously used.

Having a quick look, there may be something of use in this article, I would need a bit of time to set something up and test before being able to make sense of any of it. Hopefully it may mean a bit more to you as you are already using it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back