Formula Assistance Needed!

Excelchallenged119

I need some assistance. I have a formula already but I need to add for more columns to it and I keep getting the error message - "you've entered too many arguments for this funtion" Below is the original formula and what i need to add.

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",K5:N5,0)),CONCATENATE(FY_11_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY11,1,MATCH("x",K5:N5,0)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",O5:R5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_12_word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY12,1,MATCH("x",O5:R5,-1)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",S5:V5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_13_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY13,1,MATCH("x",S5:V5,-1)))),"TBD")))

I need to add 4 more columns for FY 14 and add it to this formula above. Everytime I try and do i keep getting the error message. Can you please help?

This is for Excel 2010

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Normally this will just be because you are missing a bracket. Make sure when you add a new argument that that arguement gets closed before the next argument is started.

Upvote 0
So this is what I did when I got the message

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",K5:N5,0)),CONCATENATE(FY_11_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY11,1,MATCH("x",K5:N5,0)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",O5:R5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_12_word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY12,1,MATCH("x",O5:R5,-1)))),(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",S5:V5,0)),CONCATENATE(FY_13_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY13,1,MATCH("x",S5:V5,0)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",W5:Z5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_14_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY14,1,MATCH("x",W5:Z5,-1)))),"TBD")))

Where can I look to find the missing bracket?

Upvote 0
Is it?

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",K5:N5,0)),CONCATENATE(FY_11_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY11,1,MATCH("x",K5:N5,0)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",O5:R5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_12_word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY12,1,MATCH("x",O5:R5,-1)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",S5:V5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_13_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY13,1,MATCH("x",S5:V5,-1)))),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",W5:Z5,1)),CONCATENATE(FY_14_Word,", ",(INDEX(QTRs_FY14,1,MATCH("x",W5:Z5,-1)))),"TBD"))))

Upvote 0
Thank Andrew!

That kinda worked however it is not recognizing the columns in the FY 14 and the "X" in any of the FY 13 columns it is reading FY 14, Q1 etc...

I copied the FY 13 columns and inserted them before the original FY 13 column and made the original FY 13 column FY 14.

Could this be the problem?

Upvote 0
Thank Andrew!

That kinda worked however it is not recognizing the columns in the FY 14 and the "X" in any of the FY 13 columns it is reading FY 14, Q1 etc...

I copied the FY 13 columns and inserted them before the original FY 13 column and made the original FY 13 column FY 14.

Could this be the problem?

All I did was make the formula syntactically correct. I have no idea why it isn't working, sorry.

Upvote 0
So I inserted 4 columns added the formula and it is working but every other row i keep getting a NAME! error....

any suggestions on that?

Upvote 0
The formula may return #NAME! if one of these names doesn't exist:

FY_11_Word
QTRs_FY11
FY_12_word
QTRs_FY12
FY_13_Word
QTRs_FY13
FY_14_Word
QTRs_FY14

Upvote 0
I apologize for all the questions, I didnt create this spreadsheet, so my next question is how do I find if the below items exists or not?

FY_11_Word
QTRs_FY11
FY_12_word
QTRs_FY12
FY_13_Word
QTRs_FY13
FY_14_Word
QTRs_FY14

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back