Formula bar showing Names not the actual formula

tanvirabid3

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My formula bar is showing names that have been saved in the name manager. When I delete the names all the formulas show errors. Is there a way that the formula bar would show the actual formula instead of the Name. I inherited this worksheet from someone else. Any assistance. Thanks

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the Board!

I have never heard of such a thing happening. Are you sure that you are looking at the "Formula Bar" and not the "Name Box"?
They usually both appear in the formula bar.

If that is not the case, can you post some screen prints of what you are seeing?

Upvote 0
My formula bar is showing names that have been saved in the name manager. When I delete the names all the formulas show errors. Is there a way that the formula bar would show the actual formula instead of the Name. I inherited this worksheet from someone else. Any assistance. Thanks
Not if the put the formula is in the refers to field of a Name. You would have to manually copy the formula from the refers to box into the formula bar of the cell.

@Joe4, I posted on it here,
Post in thread 'How is calculation made without seeing the formula'
How is calculation made without seeing the formula

Upvote 0
When I delete the names all the formulas show errors.
If the name no longer exists then the formula can not see what it refers to so you will get #REF errors. If you want to delete the named ranges then you need to edit the formulas to use normal ranges first. Hopefully you have a backup of the file from before you deleted the names, otherwise you will not be able to recover them.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back