Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
Hello Everyone:

I work in Aviation, specifically Air Cargo. I am trying to develop a command that will take our package loading count per cargo loading device, versus the reported percentage, and give me an estimated number of the maximum number of packages that could have went into that particular cargo container. Example:

Loading Device #1, is loading with 29 packages, at an estimated 15% capacity (where I work our loaders estimate the percentage so I know this isn't an exact science but my boss wants me to try). If I do the formula with numbers: =Sum(29*100/15) I get the estimated result of 193 packages as maximum capacity. But I am trying to make that formula variable since our load percentages and package counts vary by day, a static formula will not do us any good. If I run it with (these are where my numbers are located): =Sum(N12*N22/O12), I get a similar result of "19333.33333." Does anyone know how to get around this? The =Trunc command seems to be my best bet, but I cannot figure out how to sync that with the =Sum command or any other method so I can achieve the same exact results using cell numbers to account for varying shipping figures daily. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Welcome to the Board!

Firstly, I am not sure why you are using the SUM function in your formulas. It isn't hurting anything in the end, but there is no reason to use it - you aren't summing anything.
You use the SUM function to SUM a multi-cell range. You seldon use it with functions in between the parentheses.

So, your formula should just be:
Excel Formula:
=N12*N22/O12

The issue with your calculation is that 15% is NOT equal to 15. 15% is equal to the decimal .15.
If you put 15% or .15 in cell O12, then your formula would just need to be:
Excel Formula:
=N12/O12

If you put 15 in cell O12 (and not 15%), then your original formula would return the correct value (where you need to divide the 15 by 100).

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the Board!

Firstly, I am not sure why you are using the SUM function in your formulas. It isn't hurting anything in the end, but there is no reason to use it - you aren't summing anything.
You use the SUM function to SUM a multi-cell range. You seldon use it with functions in between the parentheses.

So, your formula should just be:
Excel Formula:
=N12*N22/O12

The issue with your calculation is that 15% is NOT equal to 15. 15% is equal to the decimal .15.
If you put 15% or .15 in cell O12, then your formula would just need to be:
Excel Formula:
=N12/O12

If you put 15 in cell O12 (and not 15%), then your original formula would return the correct value (where you need to divide the 15 by 100).
Thanks! If I use the =Trunc function, and then N12/O12, it does the trick I need! Thank You So Much!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I could help!
:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back