Formula Conformation

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I used the below formula (searching online I found that NOW gives you a time stamp as opposed to TODAY which updates the date regularly)

=IF(A3<>"",NOW(), "")

The reason behind the below is that when someone enters a value the timestamp is generated for audit purposes. I used the below formula yesterday to test and noticed that the date had updated to todays date.

Have I entered something wrong here?

As always any help is very much appreciated. Ps if I am delayed in responding currently at work but shall get back to any replies.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Now gives you a dynamic date, everytime you press F9 it updates automatically. I created a macro to add timestamp in order to overcome this and a UDF.

Upvote 0
Now() gives the date & time and will update, everytime excel calculates
you can use something like
=IF(C3<>"",IF(B3="",NOW(),B3),"") in cell B3.
if some one enters a value in c3 , B3 will show the date and time
and will not change providing iterations are set up, otherwise a circular error will occur

what cell do you want the time stamp in and what cell is someone entering data into
But you also have to set iterations in the preferences
have a read here

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the replies guys,

@etaf My initial entry will go into Column A (user) with the time stamp expected to go into column C

My formula seems to be slightly off to the one you provided but will give that a whirl, I will go over the link you sent me, thanks for sending.

Does make me wonder that if NOW updates every time it calculates seems very similar to TODAY, I mean on most instances I assume spreadsheets would be updated therefore calculating...

Upvote 0
Does make me wonder that if NOW updates every time it calculates seems very similar to TODAY, I mean on most instances I assume spreadsheets would be updated therefore calculating...
Yes, that the idea , people use today() a lot in conditional formatting for things like overdue based on todays date - and so it needs to update.
NOW() just gives the date and also the time
so again can be useful in functions to know the time now and use that to base other calculations on - again conditional formatting for example

SO in C2 you type and copy down - BUT iterations is the Key setting
=IF(A2<>"",IF(C2="",NOW(),C2),"")

Upvote 0
Yes, that the idea , people use today() a lot in conditional formatting for things like overdue based on todays date - and so it needs to update.
NOW() just gives the date and also the time
so again can be useful in functions to know the time now and use that to base other calculations on - again conditional formatting for example

SO in C2 you type and copy down - BUT iterations is the Key setting
=IF(A2<>"",IF(C2="",NOW(),C2),"")

At first glance would this not give a circular reference? But will go through the link you sent to make any adjustments as need be, always gets me thinking how something so simple has been missed of excel (I mean I would classify having a time stamp as a simple thing to achieve compared to other things I have seen excel do)

Upvote 0
yes , it will - hence why
iterations need to be set - I did say that , but - made it clearer during an edit - why iterations need to be set - which you may have missed
if some one enters a value in c3 , B3 will show the date and time
and will not change providing iterations are set up, otherwise a circular error will occur

Upvote 0
yes , it will - hence why
iterations need to be set - I did say that , but - made it clearer during an edit - why iterations need to be set - which you may have missed

I have yet to go through the link (at work) just mentioned at first glance but shall go through the link and set iterations as need to.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back