formula corrupted by query resultset changing

stingraysting

i have a worksheet tied to a TFS query to retrieve work items from that system. The results of which are displayed in $B:$D. In column A I need to have a formula that examines column D and potentially massages the data - something like:

=IF(LEN($D1)=0,"NULL",IF(LEN($D1)=1,"FOO",MID($D1,2,FIND("\",CONCATENATE($D1,"\"),2)-2)))

the problem I run into is that if the query from TFS returns 10 rows initially, then A1:A10 dispaly the correct information. But then if I refresh the query and the result set is 15, then excel assumes an insert in B11:D15 and the formula for A11 starts referencing $D16, not $D11.

So someone suggested I used a formula or macro using offset and I ran with this:

=IF(LEN(OFFSET($A1,0,3))=0,"NULL",IF(LEN(OFFSET($A1,0,3))=1,"FOO",MID(OFFSET($A1,0,3),2,FIND("\",CONCATENATE(OFFSET($A1,0,3),"\"),2)-2)))

that works, except this worksheet tends to have many more than 10 rows AND I have to use this formula on several other worksheets in the book, so.... the workbook is tied up with 'Calculating 2 processors....' and essentially unusable.

using excel 2007, XP sp2, TFS 2008.

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hi, welcome to the board.

Is it an option for you to stick with your first formula, but just have it copied from A1 down to whatever range it needs to be copied, either manually or automatically, each time you get an update ?

Upvote 0
p.s. my search for 'offset' or other solution is to get around the manual refresh of that column, which I have been doing - but am looking to have this report refreshed nightly by a batch file

Upvote 0
I'm not a macro expert, but this would do a basic version - there are probably better ways
Code:
Range("A1").Copy
Range("A1:A100").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Replace the 100 with a suitably large number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back