Formula Displays Rather Than Result

paul3624

Why is it that when I enter a formula in a cell it displays the formula rather than the results of the formula?

It's a pretty simple situation that has caused me problems in the past. I've copied a simple formula from another cell that references another cell (=+A1) and it displays the results correctly. Now if I want the reference to be say A50 and I replace A1 with A50, rather than getting what's in A50, I get =+A50 in the cell. If I just press + and drag the cursor to cell A50 I get the same result.

It's driving me nuts.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Perhaps you neeed to format the cell to a different format, perhaps number (See Format Menu -> Cells - . Number tab)

Upvote 0
Paul - good question! That happens to me sometimes and I don't understand why and it's very frustrating. Seems to me I saw a fix for this somewhere here on MrExcel so I went searching for it. Unfortunately, my search results were mostly irrelevant to the problem. I finally found a solution though, and two related posts as well:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240224&highlight=cell+displays+forumla+result

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294024&highlight=Formula+contents+Display+cell

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98143&highlight=cell+displays+forumla+result

I hope this helps ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding. I changed to format from Text to General and it seems to have fixed it, although I still have no idea why.

Paul

Upvote 0
This happens to me sometimes too. I use the keyboard shortcut for General Format (Ctrl + Shift + ~), the the the keyboard shortcut for edit mode (F2), then Enter.

All in one I just: Ctrl + Shift + ~, F2, Enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back