Formula for avrgs

noob

Board Regular
Column I has sizes of containers ranging from 0.1-88.0, column O has a dollar value of $/Yard. I need a formula that will calculate avrg $/Yrd for all container sizes and mark ones that are below avrg. in a new column.

Thank You

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
You can use a formula like:

=O1<AVERAGE(IF(I$1:I$100=I1,O$1:O$100))

which must be confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter. If correctly entered Excel will surround the array formula with curly braces {}. The formula can be copied down.

Upvote 0
All I got from that was same avrg that is entered in O2, I need to come up with avrgs. for all size containers and than mark ones below. Not sure if the formula has to be on a separate work sheet to get the avrgs. I was thinking it would have something to do with ( =IF( and THAN formulas plus avrg. formula. but I'm not so sure

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK thank you, so cells marked true are above avrg. false below.. and my second questions is how do I get the avrgs. for each container size? Thank you for the fast reply.

Upvote 0
The formula returns TRUE for below average, otherwise FALSE.

The second part of the formula returns the average for the container size in column I. You could use a pivot table to create a table of all the averages.

Upvote 0
I've tried the pivot table but it gives me totals vs. avrg. for container size... What would be the formula for the averages

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right click the data field and choose Field Settings. In the Summarise by listbox select Average (rather than Sum) and click OK.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back