Formula for converting Paragraph UpperCase to Paragraph Sentence Case

binar

Board Regular
Fellow Forum Members,
I have tested the five formulas listed below and none of them are able to successfully convert a paragraph of UPPERCASE text over to a paragraph of Sentence Case text. In other words, I need only the first text letter starting a sentence to be UPPERCASE for every sentence within a paragraph:

#1- SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(C2),CHAR(CODE(C2)),UPPER(CHAR(CODE(C2))),1)
#2- UPPER(LEFT(C2,1))&MID(LOWER(C2),2,999)
#3- left(A1) & lower(right(A1,len(A1)-1))
#4- UPPER(LEFT(A1)) & LOWER(MID(A1, 2, LEN(A1)-1))
#5- UPPER(LEFT(C4,1)) & LOWER(RIGHT(C4,LEN(C4)-1))

I hope someone out there can help everyone out in this forum by developing a formula which will accurately convert a paragraph over to Sentence Case because none of the formulas I have listed above seem to work right. Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
All those formulas would resolve a sentence but not a paragraph form. If you are interested in VBA and making your own formula to do this. The only other issue I would see is proper names, cities, and other capital words that may be in the middle of a sentence. Such as: "I went to the movies with Mr. Smith in Denver, Colorado" would read: "I went to the movies with mr. Smith in denver, colorado"

Upvote 0
Your formula works great except for other punctuation such as commas, semicolons, etc. I would recommend the following to resolve this:

Code:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(PROPER(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","ZZZ"),".ZZZ",". ")),"zzz"," "),"Zzz"," ")

This still does not resolve the proper names, cities, and other capitalization in the middle of a sentence.

Upvote 0
It would be a big help if the OP gave some representative data rather than a list of formulas that do not work.

Upvote 0
The formula in post #2 works better if "ß" is selected as the temporary replacement character:

=SUBSTITUTE(PROPER(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","ß"),".ß",". ")),"ß"," ")

Upvote 0
Thank you anthonya2369 and István Hirsch for your posts to this thread. I got positive results. In other words, I am now able to convert an uppercase paragraph to sentence case which is something I was not able to do before with any of the formulas I initially posted. Thank again and my hope is this thread will help someone else in the future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back