Formula for How to Find Average Position Rank in a List

Props5102

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All,

For full disclosure, I'm not even sure if the subject of my post is the exact way verbiage I should be using to ask for help. I'll try and be as concise as possible while describing what I'm trying to accomplish.

Attached below you will find a screenshot of the sheet I'm working with. I've asked 6 people to rank 20 different items in terms of their favorite to least favorite (The items in the columns- Poison 1, Poison 2, Blood 1, etc). I'm trying to figure out some sort of metric to determine what items rank the highest when you take everyone's lists into account. My head is so spun around trying to figure this out that I'm not even sure what approach to take. I'm very green when it comes to formulas in excel, but my intuition says to use some sort of average formula.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.44.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.44.39 AM.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 15

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I played a bit, and came up with the idea of scoring each entry by means of their row number in the sheet. (so the best would be row2, or score 2, and the lowest rank would be rank 21 for row21).
I do that for each column of data and sum them together to get a total score.

I then made a column B, and put this formula inside to show the scores:

Excel Formula:
=SUM(IF($A2=$C$2:$C$21,ROW($C$2:$C$21),0),IF($A2=$D$2:$D$21,ROW($D$2:$D$21),0),IF($A2=$E$2:$E$21,ROW($E$2:$E$21),0),IF($A2=$F$2:$F$21,ROW($F$2:$F$21),0),IF($A2=$G$2:$G$21,ROW($G$2:$G$21),0),IF($A2=$H$2:$H$21,ROW($H$2:$H$21),0))

its a bit long, but at least you have a column of numbers that represent a "weight" of preference to each item.

I'm sure there other ways someone will come up with too ..

Rob

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I played a bit, and came up with the idea of scoring each entry by means of their row number in the sheet. (so the best would be row2, or score 2, and the lowest rank would be rank 21 for row21).
I do that for each column of data and sum them together to get a total score.

I then made a column B, and put this formula inside to show the scores:

Excel Formula:
=SUM(IF($A2=$C$2:$C$21,ROW($C$2:$C$21),0),IF($A2=$D$2:$D$21,ROW($D$2:$D$21),0),IF($A2=$E$2:$E$21,ROW($E$2:$E$21),0),IF($A2=$F$2:$F$21,ROW($F$2:$F$21),0),IF($A2=$G$2:$G$21,ROW($G$2:$G$21),0),IF($A2=$H$2:$H$21,ROW($H$2:$H$21),0))

its a bit long, but at least you have a column of numbers that represent a "weight" of preference to each item.

I'm sure there other ways someone will come up with too ..

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for this.

I just started dabbling with SumIf and CountIf type of formulas and I did dabble with trying to do something of this nature. I thought I was probably making it way harder than it had to be, but I'm glad that you went down the same path that I initially guessed would be a solution.

Upvote 0
Oh, and sorry , forgot to mention in col A I just made a list of your items, so that col B showed the score of each…0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back