Formula for Status - Not Due, Due, Complete, Overdue

SaraWitch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello peeps,

I have a formula to return whether something is not due, due, complete or overdue:

Where B1 is "Completion Date", and A1 is "Due Date":

=IF($B1<>"","Complete",IF(ISBLANK($B1),IF(TODAY()<$A1,"Not Due",IF(TODAY()=$A1,"Due",IF(TODAY()>$A1,"Overdue","")))))

This is working perfectly when a date is entered in either A or B, but is returning 'Overdue' if both cells blank. What am I doing wrong? :unsure:

And can I extend the formula to show if it's "0-3 months overdue", "4-6 months overdue" and "7+ months overdue" (I may have to add another column or conditionally format to show this?)?

Ta muchly!
Sara

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(A1="","",IF($B1<>"","Complete",IF(TODAY()<$A1,"Not Due",IF(TODAY()=$A1,"Due",IF(TODAY()>$A1,"Overdue","")))))

Upvote 0
Perfect! Thanks, @Fluff!

Can I extend the formula to include if it's "0-3 months overdue", "4-6 months overdue" and "7+ months overdue"? May be too many arguments...?

Upvote 0
Yes you can extend it to do that, it's well within the limits of nested functions.

Upvote 0
Sorry, @Fluff - what would the formula look like? I keep tying myself up in knots with TODAY() plus the timescale - it's not as easy as TODAY()+0-3 MONTH>A1,"Overdue 0-3 months", is it (I don't think it is!)?

Upvote 0
You can do it like
VBA Code:
=IF(A1="","",IF($B1<>"","Complete",IF(TODAY()<$A1,"Not Due",IF(TODAY()=$A1,"Due",IF(EDATE(TODAY(),-3)<$A1,"0-3 months overdue",IF(EDATE(TODAY(),-6)<$A1,"4-6 months overdue",""))))))

Upvote 0
Solution
You are amazing! I bow down to you and am grateful for the teachings! Thank you, @Fluff.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back