Tytalus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I was in a situation where I had to do some conditional formatting for cells that had invalid entries relative to validation rules.

As far as I know there's no formula that checks validity, so I started a thread on the official Excel threads, and I talked a bit about it on twitter, but have gotten no responses.

So now I'm wondering if there's already a way to do this that I'm missing (other than using "Circle Invalid Data").

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...34-formula-for-checking-validation-compliance

Am I barking up an already "solved" tree?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
There's no formula for checking Data Validation rules

You could potentially use VBA to look at the DV rules, but I wouldn't bother. If it was that important to me I'd find another way of preventing people entering the wrong values - e.g. by using a User Form, or a Worksheet_Change event

For example as you noted, DV can be ignored by Copy > Paste values. However you could use Worksheet_SelectionChange event to disable cutcopymode if Copy is active and you select the range in question. A simple formula that gives a big red error message should usually suffice

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was thinking I could solve this pretty easily with vba but I can't run vba on the form in question.

The problem is, I've got a lot of copy and pasting going on (and it's good - my users' lives are made much easier with it) but pasting values into cells bypasses validation (and any validation alerts). So I was looking for a way to highlight the invalidity so the user can be alerted.

Upvote 0
I ended up creating a CF instance checking for validity for each validation area - but since each validation rule was unique, it was a huge PITA. (Plus I have more CF objects and we know how that goes). So I was thinking of how useful a "check validity" formula could be. We know under the hood they already have this functionality because of the circle option.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back