Formula help for newbie

Darren1593

Hi, i am trying to create a simple spreadsheet to track my team goalscorers, all i want is for the formula to notice a player name on one sheet and count the amount of goals he has scored on another sheet.

The first sheet has the player name in column D and the amount of goals scored in that game column E

The second sheet has the player name in column B and the Total goals scored column in C

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your help in advance

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Something like this?

Excel Workbook
DE
1NameGoals
2Player 10
3Player 21
4Player 12
5Player 41
6Player 32
7Player 33
8Player 21
Goals

Excel Workbook
BC
1NameGoals
2Player 12
3Player 22
4Player 35
5Player 41
Totals

Upvote 0
Unfortunately your Sheet2 does not show what the expected results are based on the data in Sheet1. However, it seems to me that the formula I suggested already is what you need, only adjusting for the different sheet names and ranges. Did you try it?

Does this not give you what you want if you put it in cell C2 of Sheet2 and copy it down?

=SUMIF(Sheet1!D$2:D$100,B2,Sheet1!E$2:E$100)

If not then please provide the expected results for your sample data with any further clarification you can give.

BTW, it would be more helpful if you post any sample data in small copyable screen shots directly in your post like I did in my last post. That way helpers can copy the sample data to their worksheets to test. Unfortunately we cannot copy it from images like you have provided. :)
My signature block below has a link for several ways to do that. Test them in the Test Here forum. That way, if something goes wrong, you won’t be messing up a main forum.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, works perfectly ??

Unfortunately your Sheet2 does not show what the expected results are based on the data in Sheet1. However, it seems to me that the formula I suggested already is what you need, only adjusting for the different sheet names and ranges. Did you try it?

Does this not give you what you want if you put it in cell C2 of Sheet2 and copy it down?

=SUMIF(Sheet1!D$2:D$100,B2,Sheet1!E$2:E$100)

If not then please provide the expected results for your sample data with any further clarification you can give.

BTW, it would be more helpful if you post any sample data in small copyable screen shots directly in your post like I did in my last post. That way helpers can copy the sample data to their worksheets to test. Unfortunately we cannot copy it from images like you have provided. :)
My signature block below has a link for several ways to do that. Test them in the Test Here forum. That way, if something goes wrong, you won’t be messing up a main forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back