Formula Help: Modify a currently working formula

Johnny Thunder

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello All,

I have a formula that is working well but now that I have moved deeper into my project I noticed that there is one scenario that the formula currently doesn't account for and I was hoping someone might know a way to adapt a modification to my formula.

Current Formula: =IFERROR(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("V",K2)),TRIM(MID(K2,SEARCH("V",K2),12)),TRIM(MID(L2,SEARCH("V",L2),12))),VLOOKUP(J2,A:B,2,0))

Formula Breakdown:
1. IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("V",K2)) - Explanation: If my range K2 contains "V" then Look at column K, if not Look at Column L
2. TRIM(MID(K2,SEARCH("V",K2),12)) - Explanation: Using Cell K2, Find the Location of the character "V" and use that as a starting position and extract 12 characters to the right
3. TRIM(MID(L2,SEARCH("V",L2),12))) - Explanation: If no "V" is found in K2, then Look in L2 for "V" and extract the 12 characters from this cell
4. VLOOKUP(J2,A:B,2,0)) - Explanation: This is part of the IFERROR Statement at the beginning of the formula, if neither Column K or L contain the letter "V" then lookup a value from a mapping table.

Modifcation needed (within the "ISNUMBER(SEARCH"): IF(K2 Contains "V" and the last two characters of the 12 needed end with "01" then extract, if no "V" is found in column K, then try the same thing in Column L.

So, its really just the validation piece of when the letter "V" is found, I need to validate that the last two character of the 12 character string end in "01" if not let the Vlookup do the work.

Sample String: P#6000346874, LINE 10, I/O#VKEOT0560101, KERR EHR - OTD
Result Needed: VKEOTO560101

New Scenario Sample: 01001 - OVERALL TERM DEAL
Result Needed: Use the vlookup because there is a "V" in the string but it does not end in "01" if you extracted 12 characters
Currently getting this: "VERALL TERM"

Any help is appreciated! ?

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
=IFERROR(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("V",K2)),IF(RIGHT(TRIM(MID(K2,SEARCH("V",K2),12)),2)="01",TRIM(MID(K2,SEARCH("V",K2),12)),IF(RIGHT(TRIM(MID(L2,SEARCH("V",L2),12)),2)="01",TRIM(MID(L2,SEARCH("V",L2),12))))),VLOOKUP(J2,A:B,2,0))

Upvote 0
Thank you for the help Marshal!

Unfortunately the formula is resulting in every row getting a "False" instead of the "Vxxxxxxxxxxx" string?

So for sure there are rows that will not have a "V" in either column which is when the Vlookup is key, but the formula is resulting in "False" on rows that clearly have the correct criteria to bring back a result.

I see what you are doing to achieve the additional parameter but its a huge formula so not sure if maybe there is a ")" in a wrong spot or some other issue causing the formula to get a "False"

Upvote 0
Try this

varios 10feb2020.xlsm
ABJKLM
2P#6000346874, LINE 10, I/O#VKEOT0560101, KERR EHR - OTDVKEOT0560101
3P#6000346874, LINE 10, I/O#VKEOT0560101, KERR EHR - OTDVKEOT0560101
401001 - OVERALL TERM DEALNo Match
5somehi!
8somehi!
Hoja3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M2:M5M2=IFERROR(IF(RIGHT(MID(K2,SEARCH("V",K2),12),2)="01",MID(K2,SEARCH("V",K2),12),#N/A),IFERROR(IF(RIGHT(MID(L2,SEARCH("V",L2),12),2)="01",MID(L2,SEARCH("V",L2),12),#N/A),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(J2,A:B,2,0),"No Match")))

Upvote 0
What's up Dante! Long time no see!

That revision did the trick! I appreciate both your help on this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back