formula help - probably simple but I'm new to this!

Kangolia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a weekly resource sheet that gets extracted from an external data source into excel. The team add an extra column (O) to add comments that are forever changing in a shared Teams environment.

The name of the person always sits in column D and the comments related to that person always sits in column O.

We manually copy and paste the comments over one by one because of filters and because the list is not in the same order.

Is there a formula to easily find the comments related to that person from last week and automate it to transfer onto the new list by way of a formula???

For instance: looking up someone's name who resides in say D2, but on the previous sheet could be residing in D27, I would need the comments from O2 to go into O27.

TIA

Attachments

• rag test.PNG
    rag test.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Try

Sheet1

Book2
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1NameComment
2AComment1
3BComment2
4CComment3
5DComment4
6EComment5
7FComment6
8GComment7
9HComment8
Sheet1

Sheet2

Book2
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1NameComment
2BComment2
3DComment4
4AComment1
5CComment3
6HComment8
7GComment7
8FComment6
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O2:O8O2=INDEX(Sheet1!O:O,MATCH(Sheet2!D2,Sheet1!D:D,0))

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I seemed to have confused myself with this now as I think the sheet names were in the wrong order so I changed it and it worked and now I get a error so i thought we could start again and I show you my screen shots as a mock up if we could use this example so I dont get confused lol

1626684778696.png

So basically, need the comments from previous week to match up with persons name on the following weeks sheet - I would need the conditional formatting to also be copied over i.e the colour of the box and text too. Could you please give me the formula working on these sheets - and is this doable to take the colours of the boxes too???

I really appreciate your help :)

How do you learn everything in excel - it baffles the hell out of me!

1626684844869.png

Attachments

• 1626684593883.png
    1626684593883.png
    141 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
and everytime im trying to enter your formula this pops up - have no idea what to do lol

1626685894756.png

Upvote 0
I would need the conditional formatting to also be copied over
You cannot copy the formatting over by using a formula, you would need to use vba (that is, a macro). Would that be acceptable?
What is/are the the conditional formatting rule(s) in cell O2 of sheet '5th Jul 2021'?
BTW, I suggest that you name your sheets more consistently (one has "Jul" and the other has "July")

and everytime im trying to enter your formula this pops up
That is because the formula uses 'Sheet1' and 'Sheet2' as the sheet names but your sheets are named differently. (You had not told us the names when that formula was suggested)

I also suggest that you investigate XL2BB for providing sample data to make it easier for helpers by not having to manually type out sample data to test with. That would also have given us the conditional formatting rules.

Upvote 0
Hi ya

Thanks so much - in fact there is no conditional formatting - my bad. We just manually fill the cell with colour. i will have to learn how to use this XL2BB.. Macros dont run on shared documents on teams does it?

Upvote 0
Macros dont run on shared documents on teams does it?
I think that is correct.

We just manually fill the cell with colour.
You still cannot use a formula to copy the colour formatting.

To get the value, use this formula in the comments column of the 19th Jul 2021 sheet.
You will need to check the name of the table in the '5th Jul 2021 sheet' & change the 'Table1' in this formula to match that table name if it is not 'Table1'.

Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP([@Name],Table1[Name],Table1[Comments],"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back