Formula Help

mjmoon

Board Regular
I need help in figuring out a formula to perform the following task. Currently I have 7 pieces of metal that I always have in inventory and what to find the best possible combination of any of the 7 to minimize the amount of drop (waste) plus minimize the total number of pieces we need to combine. We stock the following lengths 36", 55", 72", 79", 97", 108", 115". Our final product ranges in size from as small as 52" and as large as 328" with increments of 6" between each different size possible. I would cut and paste my worksheet but do not know how to do this on the message board. If this would help please tell me how and I would be more than glad to that. To help explain my sceneraio I will give you a scenario:

Final product length = 274" we would use 2 - 115" pieces and one 55" leaving a drop(waste) of 11". Goal is to minimize the total number of pieces we need as well as minimize total waste. Is there a way to set the formula up to refer to a cell that refers to the maximum amount of drop(waste) we could allow? By doing this we could play with this number to see what is the best scenario.

I have my spread sheet setup with the final product length running down the side in rows and the stock item lengths going across the columns. My goal is to indicate the number of each stock item needed to get the final length plus I have a column indicating the amount of drop(waste)

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreicated. Thank you in advance for looking at this for me.

Marc

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back