Formula Help

AussieVic

Hi i need a formula that will extract string November, now i know i could use MID, but that would mean i would have to manually count "Start num" and "Num chars", easy there an easier approach than this?

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 139pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=185><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 139pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6765" width=185><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 139pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" id=td_post_2145561 height=17 width=185>Credit Interest November 2009</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
I assume you are going to be extracting more than just November? Are you wanting to extract a month out of the string and not always November?

Upvote 0
Code:
=MID(A1,FIND(B1,A1),LEN(B1))
Where A1 is the String and B1 holds what you wish to extract

lenze

Upvote 0
I assume you are going to be extracting more than just November? Are you wanting to extract a month out of the string and not always November?

That is correct, I will be extracting various months, but the mid formula is still manual cos you have to count manually

Upvote 0
Code:
=MID(A1,FIND(B1,A1),LEN(B1))
Where A1 is the String and B1 holds what you wish to extract

lenze

That would still mean i would have to physicall type out November in B1 or any other string which i might want to extract

Upvote 0
Will the string "Credit Interest " always be the beginning? Or does that vary too? If the format will always be "word_word_TARGETWORD_something else" (two words and spaces before the target word and a space with anything else after it), then this formula works on a string in A1:
Code:
=MID(A1,1+FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",2))," ","|",2)),FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",2))," ","|",2))-FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",2))," ","|",2)))
The SUBSTITUTE functions drop placeholder characters into the string before and after the target word, then calculate for you the positions of the first letter and last letter of the target word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would still mean i would have to physicall type out November in B1 or any other string which i might want to extract
Yeah!! But so what? If it's only months, create a DV in B1 with a dropdown list. No matter what you choose to use, you are going to have to tell Excel what you are looking for!!

lenze

Upvote 0
That is correct, I will be extracting various months, but the mid formula is still manual cos you have to count manually
This is one way, but there is probably a better way to do it:
Excel Workbook
AB
1Rob December FirstDecember
2John October 12October
3Credit Interest November 2009November
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=TEXT(SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(FIND(TEXT(DATE(2009,ROW($1:$12),1),"mmmm"),A1)))*(TEXT(DATE(2009,ROW($1:$12),1),"m")))&"/1/2009","mmmm")

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Yes you are correct, your formula is sooo big, it works, but i aint got a clue how it works :)

Will the string "Credit Interest " always be the beginning? Or does that vary too? If the format will always be "word_word_TARGETWORD_something else" (two words and spaces before the target word and a space with anything else after it), then this formula works on a string in A1:
Code:
=MID(A1,1+FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",2))," ","|",2)),FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",2))," ","|",2))-FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE((SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",2))," ","|",2)))
The SUBSTITUTE functions drop placeholder characters into the string before and after the target word, then calculate for you the positions of the first letter and last letter of the target word.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back