Formula help

Scott Wagner

I am new to excel so this may seem simple. So say I have column "H" in this I have input a formula to add three previos columns. In "I" I want to input either a ranking or sorting formula, so far "I" doesn't seem to accept the number fomulated in "H" as a number to rank. Is this because column"H" is originaly a formula ? Or is there another command to use in this case, in addition to the basic rank formula?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
welcome to the board!

it should rank find (given your using the formula correct). do you mind posting a little more info w/ formula?

Upvote 0
Hi!
it seem to work with me.
See below!
unique1101.xls
ABCDE
19N1N2N3SUMRANK
Sheet3

Upvote 0
First thank you for the rapid reply, Sixth Sense I tried again to input this formula that indeed worked in your example it is the same one i had tried previosly and tried agian to no success, I would love to show an example but as yet do not have the knowledge.I used this formula on this same spreadsheet to rank three other scoring columns;rd1,rd2,rd3, all with success. but again when I try rank columns;rd1+rd2,or total It doesn't compute, I am using the formula correctly per your example=RANK(H2,$H$2:$H$25) this is an example of my input for column "I" I want this column to rank "H" this is rd1+rd2. There is also column "L" the three round total,my goal is to have column "M" sort the list by players totals first, second ,third etc.By the way i don't know this formula and at this point cannot even get them to rank.I am using excel from office 2000,on windows xp,via msn 8.Thanks agian fire fytr and sixth sense,if you have any more advise i will appreciate it. Good day!

Upvote 0
I found my problem the sum formula i used was incorrect, when i changed it from =d2+f2 to=SUM(D2,F2) The ranking started working (WAHOO!!) I am greatful for your efforts you helped me keep searching and it payed off. Now, is there a formula that i can use in place of rank that will use the total score, column "L" to reconfigure my list in order of score from highest to lowest at the end of the match.

Upvote 0
select the range you wish to sort (highest to lowest going down), go to Data -> Sort -> (expand selection) -> sort... ->column J descending -> ok

i hope this helps, i've only used sort a few times, and on nothing to greatly large. but this worked for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back