formula help

vf_guy

Hello,

I'm trying to come up with a formula that extracts the following:
(bold is info to be extracted. these are all the possible combos that it can appear.
A "name" is just text. "IP" is a IP address).

so an example of the first line would be:

access-list 95 extended permit tcp object-group File-Hosts host 1.1.1.1 any

an example of the second type would be:

access-list 95 extended permit tcp object-group Harrys-Group host 1.1.1.1 eq 4100

etc, etc, etc.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the examples below are returned via a vlookup. Also, some lines might be blank.

I've figured out how to return the first and second value if it's an "IP"

=IFERROR(MID(B3,SEARCH("host",B3)+5,SEARCH(" ",B3,SEARCH("host",B3)+5)-(SEARCH("host",B3)+5)),"")

and the second value if it's an IP as well

=IFERROR(MID(B5, SEARCH("xx",SUBSTITUTE(B5,"host ","xx",(LEN(B5)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"host ","")))/5),1)+5, SEARCH(" eq",B5,1)-SEARCH("xx",SUBSTITUTE(B5,"host ","xx",(LEN(B5)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B5,"host ","")))/5),1)-5),"")

and also the third value if it is preceeded by either "eq" or "range"

=IFERROR(MID(B5,FIND("eq ",B5,1)+3,10),IFERROR(MID(B5,FIND("range ",B5,1)+6,16),""))

but I'm unable to account for so many possibilities....

Any help is appreciated!

textfirst valuetextsecond valuetextthird value
object-groupnamehostipanyequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnamehostipeqcharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnamehostiprangecharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnamehostipobject-groupnameequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnameobject-groupnameanyequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnameobject-groupnameeqcharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnameobject-groupnamerangecharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
object-groupnameobject-groupnameobject-groupnameequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostiphostipanyequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostiphostipeqcharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostiphostiprangecharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostiphostipobject-groupnameequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostipobject-groupnameanyequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostipobject-groupnameeqcharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostipobject-groupnamerangecharactersequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value
hostipobject-groupnameobject-groupnameequals first valueequals second valueequals thrid value

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Is all of your data consistent with your examples?

"access-list 95 extended permit tcp" "Text" "First Value" "Text" "Second Value" "Optional Text" "Optional Third Value"

This formula assumes that the first part is always the same and chops of the first 49 characters, then splits the rest of the string using spaces to find the first, third and fifth unbroken text strings.

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(MID($A2,49,LEN($A2))," ",REPT(" ",100)),(COLUMNS($B2:B2)-1)*200+1,100))

With your list in column A, assuming first entry in A2, enter the formula into B2, then fill right and down as needed.

Upvote 0
Hi Jason, thanks much for the reply. I failed to mention that the entire text could be preceded by spaces and that the "95" could be numbers or text. Therefore there may be more than 49 characters. Here's another example (preceded by 2 spaces):

" access-list APP-SEGMNT line 19 extended permit tcp host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 eq www"

also the IP can obviously be between 7-15 characters. The "line number" can be one or two characters, so I think trying to use a fixed length would be difficult.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

I am not finding your examples, layout or explanation very clear.
Could you try providing another set (say 10 rows) of sample data and expected results, with explanation of how to obtain (manually) the expected results?
My signature block below has suggestions for posting small screen shots which may help display data, results and layout more clearly.

Upvote 0
I think that a modified version of my formula should work if we can find a pattern in the data, it might look fixed length, but done correctly it can still pick out the correct part of the string, whether it's 1 character or 100.

I'm going to take the chance that "tcp" could be a common factor to identify the end of the preceding text string, in which case this variation of my formula should work,

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(MID($A2,SEARCH("tcp",$A2)+4,LEN($A2))," ",REPT(" ",LEN($A2))),(COLUMNS($B2:B2)-1)*(LEN($A2)*2)+1,LEN($A2)))

If not, then, as Peter said, we would need to see a few more variations in order to try and identify a pattern.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back