Formula in conditional formatting

Honor Oak Bloke

Hi,

I am trying to use conditional formatting to highlight different % ranges in cells. To explain:

I have a grid of data with name of entity down the left vertical axis and 5 different time periods along the horizontal axis. This means be looking at entity A and time period 1 Day I can see that this is showing a daily movement of -4.63%. For entity B -3.98% and so on. I am using a traffic light system to show when entities reach 'tipping points', for example if any entity is less than -5% in one day it would be amber, less than -10% red and greater than -5% green. The problem is that these are static limits and dont take into account the volatilty of the movements. I want this grid to show the outliers in a given period, however at present if all the entitys are greater than the static limit they are all red and so any outliers are not immediately clear.

Ideally I would like the conditional formatting to look at the standard deviation of the average and use a traffic light system based on 1, 1.5 and 2 standard deviations away from the average (this is all calculated seperately). Is it possible to factor external calculations into the conditional formatting calculation (or to insert this into the formula bar on the conditional formatting set up)?

Apologies for the rambling explanation, please ask any questions that might clarify any of the points above.

HOB

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi and Welcome to the Board,

One approach would be to calculate your mean and standard deviation and define names for the cells that hold those two values.

Then you can use an Icon Set Conditional Formatting Rule using those names Mean and sd to make the four Bins.

6672068851_924e05cb98.jpg

6672068859_e3b14cee59.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back