formula limit of 8192 characters pops up without visible reason ??

MTurtinen

Hello

I have a few times got this message:
"One or more formulas in this workbook are longer than the allowed limit of 8192 characters. To avoid this limitation, save the workbook in the Binary Workbook format."

I have no long formulas in my excel. I even made a macro to check all formulas and it cannot find long formulas. Does anybody know about a bug which could be the reason. Any ideas how to find the cell from where the message originates? The workbook is quite complex and has a lot of pages and data.

My excel is v2010.

Thanks in advance :-!

Matti

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
For me after trying to delete the conditional formatting, running Macro, saving in binary and older Excel version 2003 and prior (having about 1/5 of data capacity than new Excel version 2019) did not work for me, I had to recreate the file by copying and pasting each individual tab to the new file to detect and eliminate the tab with "over 8192 characters in formula", which i believe is some kind of coding error in Excel to misread text as formula, usually due to linking to other workbooks. Hope it helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back