Formula not being evaluated in COUNTIFS multiple criteria array

Kai_GSE

I'm using the following formula:

=IFERROR(IF(SUM(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),2))):INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),17))),{"Full Cast",INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),1),INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),2),INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),3)}))>0,'Much Ado Schedule'!C5,""),"0")

which I would like to condense to:

=IFERROR(IF(SUM(COUNTIFS($B$2:$R$2,{"Full Cast","Claudio",”0”, “0"}))>0,'Much Ado Schedule'!E10,""),"").

The $B$2:$R$2 portion works correctly, but the INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),1) does not. Frustratingly, when I highlight it in the formula bar and press F9, it does indeed return "Claudio", but when I try to press enter, I get the "There's a problem with this formula" message. I don't get that if I put quotations, and write "INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),1)", but then this reduces to ""Claudio"" with double quotations, and this doesn't match as I would like.

Any ideas why this is not compiling correctly?

PS It seems to work fine in COUNTIF, as opposed to COUNTIFS i.e. with only one criteria, and no curly brackets.

PPS As a fun side note, when I compile =INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),2))), in it's own cell, it returns "Leonata" (which I wouldn't want), but when I use it in the top formula, it returns $B$2 exactly as I would like...this inconsistency is confusing me a lot!

Thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Update:

It works perfectly if I separate into several COUNTIF functions, rather than trying to use COUNTIFS with an array for multiple criteria, but the function, is now much longer:

=IFERROR(IF(SUM(COUNTIF(INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),2))):INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),17))),"Full Cast"),COUNTIF(INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),2))):INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),17))),INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),1)),COUNTIF(INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),2))):INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),17))),INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),2)),COUNTIF(INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),2))):INDIRECT(CELL("address",INDEX(MuchAdoSceneAndCast,MATCH('Much Ado Schedule'!C5,MuchAdoSceneList,0),17))),INDEX(MuchAdoCastCharacterMatch,MATCH($A$1,CastList,0),3)))>0,'Much Ado Schedule'!C5,""),"0")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back