Formula NOT Calculating for some odd reason

mcmuney

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Code:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(U:U<>""),U:U)

I'm using the above formula and it works fine on my computer. I sent the schedule to some other people and it's working fine for most; however, for one individual, the cell with this formula isn't calculating:

• Her Options are set to Automatic Formulas: all other cells auto calculate fine
  • F9: hitting F9 doesn't calculate
  • Saving the file doesn't calculate
  • The only way it calculates is by hitting F2 into the cell and exiting out

Anyone know what's causing this to not function properly?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
You neglect to say what the cell displays when the formula does not calculate.

My guess: it displays the formula itself.

If that is the case, my guess is: the cell was formatted as Text when the formula was entered, then the cell format was changed to a numeric format (General, Number, etc).

In that case, the type of the cell value remains text until you "re-enter" the formula (or constant), for example by pressing f2, then Enter.

PS.... That is a imprudent formula. Excel creates an array of 1+ million elements for the second parameter. Unless you might actually have as much as 1+ million rows of data, it is better to use a limited ranged; for example, =LOOKUP(2,1/(U1:U10000<>""),U:U). Change U10000 to any reasonable limit.

Upvote 0
It's not text, that was one of my checks. The formula cell displays the first lookup result.

Thanks for the suggestion to limit the range.

You neglect to say what the cell displays when the formula does not calculate.

My guess: it displays the formula itself.

If that is the case, my guess is: the cell was formatted as Text when the formula was entered, then the cell format was changed to a numeric format (General, Number, etc).

In that case, the type of the cell value remains text until you "re-enter" the formula (or constant), for example by pressing f2, then Enter.

PS.... That is a imprudent formula. Excel creates an array of 1+ million elements for the second parameter. Unless you might actually have as much as 1+ million rows of data, it is better to use a limited ranged; for example, =LOOKUP(2,1/(U1:U10000<>""),U:U). Change U10000 to any reasonable limit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back