Formula only working after I delete and add space between words.

Eamonn100

Board Regular
Does any one know what's wrong in this instant?

When I copy and paste "3 Months" to my spreadsheet, the formula in the cell next to it comes up #N/A. Only after deleting and adding the space between 3 and Months does the formula work. How can I make it read 3 Months first time ever time?

What I'm getting,
3 Months#N/A

<tbody>
</tbody>
The formula.

=(INDEX($E:$E,MATCH("3 Months",$E:$E,0)))

What I want to end up with, without having to delete and add the space.
3 Months3 Months

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
That seems strange. I pasted 3 months into cell E1 and your formula into Cell F1. The result I get is 3 months not #N/A

Upvote 0
Hi

You might have a character that looks like a space but isn't a space there, for example a non breaking space. With your "3 months" in cell A2, use the formula =CODE(MID(A2,2,1)) and see what it returns. A normal space should be the number 32. Anything else means you have something else in there.

Upvote 0
That seems strange. I pasted 3 months into cell E1 and your formula into Cell F1. The result I get is 3 months not #N/A

Yes when I type in 3 Months it works for me but when I copy it for the web page, it won't read it without me having to delete and add the space again.

Upvote 0
CHAR(117) on my excel is a lower case 'u' but it might differ between excel versions or something.

You can try cleaning your input by using the formula =SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(117)," ") where your pasted data is in A2 and 117 is the code you're getting for the space in the cell. Hopefully what this will do is replace any instance of the unusual character with a space. You can then use your original formula to search this newly cleaned data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back