Formula question

mahmed1

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have seen a few scenarios where you can Highlight some cells, enter an formula in the active cell and then voila it will give you the right result when you press enter however on other occasions i have seen where you have to enter the formula and then drag and copy it down

Im not sure if they were Array formulas but im pretty sure that it gave a different result. I would have thought it would have given the same result?

Just wanted more info on when and where i would see this kind of scenarios

Thank You

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I think you want to highlight a range of cells, enter something in one of them, and then hit ctrl+enter to write the same value / formula into all at once

An array formula is written by selecting shift+ctrl+enter. Chip Pearson gives a useful overview of the different types, and some examples of using them http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/ArrayFormulas.aspx

Upvote 0
you can Highlight some cells, enter an formula in the active cell and then voila it will give you the right result when you press enter

This person is probably in the middle of a formula that requires a range (more than one cell). for example =sum(a1:a10) can be entered manually or typing "=sum(" and then highlighting the cells, then pressing enter.

i have seen where you have to enter the formula and then drag and copy it down

You are referring to the fill handle - they are not necessary array formulas (probably arent in most cases) but you can write a formula to be static or dynamic depending on the need.

For example if I had a range that had total sales for sales people and i had a cell that had the commission percentage, i could write a formula that would calculate the commission a particular salesperson gets. I could then copy the formula down to apply that to all salespeople (without changing the percentage but changing the sales amount).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back