Formula to calculate how many times a digit occurs in a given range

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I would be very grateful for a formula that will result in the number of times a single digit - e.g. 6 - occurs in the range 001 to 500.

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Look at the ones column of the first 10 numbers. How many times does 6 appear? Note that the pattern of the first 10 numbers repeats for the rest of the 490 numbers. How many times does it repeat? Now repeat for the tens column. Find a repeating pattern, count how many times 6 appears in that pattern, find out how many times the pattern repeats. Repeat the process for the hundreds column (should be very easy!).

Upvote 0
Thanks Eric, but is there a formula that will do this without having to manually count the occurrence?

Upvote 0
This sounds a lot like homework, which many people here (myself included) don't feel is appropriate to answer directly. Hints are OK. Yes, there is a formula, but it's easily derivable from the steps I explained. You shouldn't have to "count" anything more than 10. This formula, incidentally, will NOT be the same for say, the digit 3 or 5. Without understanding the reasoning behind the formula, you won't be able to adapt it to the different digits.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, that's incorrect. I'm long retired. I have a set of sticky labels from 1 to 500. There are no leading zeros.

The manufacturer has told me he cannot make numbers in excess of 500. I need to produce numbers from 501 to 999 myself by cutting out the hundred digits from 5 to 9 using the existing numbers and I need to know how many more packets I will need to buy to create the 501-999 with the digits that are available from 1-500.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry if I misinterpreted the situation, but have you even tried my suggestion yet?

In the ones column, the pattern 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 repeats 50 times, and the 6 occurs once, so 50*1. The tens columns goes from 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2, etc. and repeats 5 times. 6 occurs 10 times in that range (60-69), so 5*10. Total is 50+50 or 100. There are no 6s in the hundreds column. But as you can see, from 501 to 999 there will be 6s, in fact 200 of them. Low numbers like 3 are reversed 200 in the 001-500 range, 100 in the 501-999 range. So you'll need to buy 2 sets of 001-500 to make one set of 501-999.

Yes, I could make a formula to do this, but a little analysis is quicker. Final recommendation: find another manufacturer. Seems like a lot of cutting.

Upvote 0
Hi!

Try the formula below:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN($A$2:$A$501)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A$2:$A$501,D2,"")))

Where D2 have the digit you want to count.

Markmzz

Upvote 0
Apologies Eric, I was too tired last night to think your solution through.

Many thanks Mark, your formula was really helpful and is spot on, after checking it against the 'Find All' function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back