Formula to calculate month between dates in different years

dlsmith36

Hi Excel Community,

I consider myself an advanced user of Excel but even this formula has me a little stumped. I have a data sheet with various lines of contracts with varying contract term dates (start and end). Three different scenarios - start in 2016 and end in 2017, start in 2017 and end in 2017, start in 2017 and end in 2018.

I need to calculate the number of 2017 months in all scenarios. I think my formula needs to be like this:
If start date year does not equal 2017 and end date year equals 2017 then calculate # of months end date has in 2017.
Otherwise, if start date year does equal 2017 and end date equals 2018 then calculate # of months start date has left in 2017.

Using the formula, I realized that I missed a scenario as it worked for every other date scenario provided. However, when the dates start in the middle of the month like 8/15/17 - 11/15/17 the formula is resulting in 4 months instead of 3 months.

=DATEDIF(MAX(O2,DATEVALUE("01-Jan-17")),MIN(P2,DATEVALUE("31-Dec-17")),"m")+1

Removing the +1 will correct the formula for this scenario, however, make it incorrect for other scenarios like start date 11/16/16, end date 1/31/17 only counting 2017 months, resulting in 0 months.

O2 - start date
P2 - end date

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
=SUM(DATEDIF(MAX(O2,DATEVALUE("01-Jan-17")),MIN(P2,DATEVALUE("31-Dec-17")),"m")+(IF(EOMONTH(P2,0)=P2,1,0)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back