Formula to Choose Named Range

Atroxell

Hi,

I have a workbook that is sent to me every quarter. It contains 3 worksheets that I cannot change and can only use as a data source. I have been granted permission to establish named ranges on each worksheet. That way, I can reference the named ranges more easily in my summary report on sheet 4. I have worked through all of the dynamic ranges I need and they work. So there ais a group of values that I can reference using dynamic ranges on each sheet -- call them GOLD, SILVER and STANDARD.

On my summary sheet, various formula work to state current value, expected return, future value, etc. Here's the snag--The summary sheet contains varying numbers of rows up to 650 and requires me to edit, copy and paste the formulas manually in three columns for each group.

The records are grouped by State and plan type and are not presented in a regular, recurring interval. So 1 row may be Silver, the next may be Gold, the next three may be Standard. Never a repeating sequence.

Is there a way that I can use a formula to reference the named range for each dynamic range? I currently have formulas that work, like:

VBA Code:
=INDEX(Silver_Plan,MATCH(E11,Silver_St,0),MATCH(D11,Silver_Type,0)+4)*$F11

And the only changes between columns of formulas are the references to the ranges for Silver, Gold and Standard. So is there a way to have a formula to switch between named ranges according to the name of the product?

TIA

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
You can use the INDIRECT function to create the name from text strings, i.e. where A1 contains the name, Silver

INDIRECT(A1&"_Plan")

would give you the named range Silver_Plan

Upvote 0
Wow! Quick responses! Thank you!

I would post the workbook, but the company I work for is a bit sensitive about their data...I had to revise a great deal about the description to stay inside the lines.

Thank you! I'll give it a try and let you know if it worked out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back