Formula to count how many times adjacent cells in a row fulfil a certain criteria

a.whitton

Hi,

I’m using Excel version 12.1.0 for Mac.

I’m having trouble making a formula that will allow me to recognize ‘episodes’ in rows of data. The criteria for an episode is that four or more adjacent cells (adjacent by column) need to have a value of 1,2 or 3.

I’d like the formula to count how many of these ‘episodes’ occur in each row.

E.g.
0 1 0 0 1 1 2 3 0 0 2 2 1 3 0 0 0 1 1 2 3 3 2 0 0 0

The formula would return a value of 3 for this row, as there are 3 lots of adjacent cells that fulfill the criteria for an ‘episode’.

My columns run from B to CG and rows run from 1 to 413 (no headers).
I’ve tried to think of a way to do this using the SUMIF function, but can’t work out how to write a formula for the ‘episode’ criteria.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to go about this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alexis.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi,

I’m having trouble making a formula that will allow me to recognize ‘episodes’ in rows of data. The criteria for an episode is that four or more adjacent cells (adjacent by column) need to have a value of 1,2 or 3.

E.g.

The formula would return a value of 3 for this row, as there are 3 lots of adjacent cells that fulfill the criteria for an ‘episode’.

I’ve tried to think of a way to do this using the SUMIF function, but can’t work out how to write a formula for the ‘episode’ criteria.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to go about this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alexis.
Hi,

Perhaps try this (note that you need to press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just ENTER as this is an array formula):

=SUM(
--(FREQUENCY(
IF(A1:Z1>0,COLUMN(A1:Z1)),
IF(A1:Z1=0,COLUMN(A1:Z1)))>1))

This assumes that 0,1,2 and 3 are the only permitted values in the range. If not, it will need some amendment.

This method is described by Domenic here: Count Consecutive Numbers
Other similar implementations are described here:

Upvote 0
Hi,

E.g.

Thanks,
Alexis.

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" span="16" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

A1, control+shift+enter (CMD + Return for Mac), not just enter:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:P1,{1,2,3},0)),COLUMN(B1:P1)),
  IF(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1:P1,{1,2,3},0)),COLUMN(B1:P1))),1))

Adjust the horizontal data range to suit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

E.g.

Thanks,
Alexis.
Try this array formula**:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:Z1,{1,2,3},0)),COLUMN(A1:Z1)),
IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1:Z1,{1,2,3},0)),COLUMN(A1:Z1)))>3,1))

** array formulas need to be entered using the key
combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER).
Hold down both the CTRL key and the SHIFT key
then hit ENTER.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Perhaps try this (note that you need to press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just ENTER as this is an array formula):

=SUM(
--(FREQUENCY(
IF(A1:Z1>0,COLUMN(A1:Z1)),
IF(A1:Z1=0,COLUMN(A1:Z1)))>1))

This assumes that 0,1,2 and 3 are the only permitted values in the range. If not, it will need some amendment.

This method is described by Domenic here: Count Consecutive Numbers
Other similar implementations are described here:

Thank you so much for your help! This formula has worked perfectly. Can you tell me though, what part of the formula actually indicates the 'four or more' adjacent cells rule? i.e. If I wanted to make it 6 or more, what part would I change?

Thanks again!
Alexis.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back