Formula to Delete hyphens

mcorydon

This is probably the easiest question you will answer today but I'm trying to create a formula that turns 123-456-7890 into 1234567890. Ideally this is a formula that i can drag down my entire spread sheet to change a few hunder fax number.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
This is probably the easiest question you will answer today but I'm trying to create a formula that turns 123-456-7890 into 1234567890. Ideally this is a formula that i can drag down my entire spread sheet to change a few hunder fax number.

Give this a try...

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

Upvote 0
mcroydon,

Eg original in A1 this formula in B1....

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Just a suggestion but I think people are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
Why not just select the Column and press CTRL+H
Find Replace - with nothing.

Upvote 0
Just a suggestion but I think people are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
Why not just select the Column and press CTRL+H
Find Replace - with nothing.
The OP said "I'm trying to create a formula that ... i can drag down my entire spread sheet"... my thought was he wanted to preserve the original data and that the dashless numbers were needed for some other formula's or program's use.

Upvote 0
Sorry I wasn't trying to imply anything. Just sometimes people over think stuff. I have actually done the Substitute to delete all the * in a sheet. When I could have just used CTRL+H. Just over thought the process. I had believed even the OP over thought it.

Upvote 0
Its always worth suggesting, so the OP can decide if they want that or not But​ using Substitute is not over complicating it, its just what was asked for

Sorry I wasn't trying to imply anything. Just sometimes people over think stuff. I have actually done the Substitute to delete all the * in a sheet. When I could have just used CTRL+H. Just over thought the process. I had believed even the OP over thought it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back