Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
I have a question about what formula I should use for the following:

I have a spreadsheet (similar to below). Across the columns are values such as A, B, C etc. Down the rows are item numbers. I have one table which has these items down the rows and ticks next to the relevant column value. E.g. Item 1 has 'A', 'C' and 'F' ticked. I want to create another table with the rows as the same items, but the columns represent the actual values that have been ticked. Each item has three ticks, so I want the 3 cells to show the 3 values that are ticked. E.g. for Item 2: 'B', 'C' and 'D'.

Is there a formula I can use to find these ticked values to present them in the second table?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
How are the ticks entered?
The ticks are entered manually and exactly as shown above. Basically across the columns only 3 cells are filled in, the rest are blank.

Upvote 0
is it font Wingding or ASCII 251 or what? Cannot give a formula till we know what the ticks are

Upvote 0
is it font Wingding or ASCII 251 or what? Cannot give a formula till we know what the ticks are
In the sheet I am using there are actually two types of ticks ' √ ✓ '

And it is actually a Google Sheets document, so only shows up the default Google fonts.

✓ - Segoe UI Symbol

√ - this is just the system font; which is Calibri

Do I need to reformat the ticks? Or is there not a way to use a formula whereby the values only appear if the cell is not blank?

Upvote 0
1660292064838.png

In F2
VBA Code:
=IF(AND(B2="√",C2="√",D2="√"),"CDE",IF(AND(B2="√",C2="√",D2<>"√"),"BC",IF(AND(B2="√",C2<>"√",D2="√"),"BD",IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2="√",D2="√"),"CD",IF(AND(B2="√",C2<>"√",D2<>"√"),"B",IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2="√",D2<>"√"),"C",IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2<>"√",D2="√"),"D","1")))))))

Then drag down

Upvote 0
1660292757743.png

Sorry got it wrong, in F2
VBA Code:
=IF(AND(B2="√",C2="√",D2="√"),$B$1&$C$1&$D$1,IF(AND(B2="√",C2="√",D2<>"√"),$B$1&$C$1,IF(AND(B2="√",C2<>"√",D2="√"),$B$1&$D$1,IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2="√",D2="√"),$C$1&$D$1,IF(AND(B2="√",C2<>"√",D2<>"√"),$B$1,IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2="√",D2<>"√"),$C$1,IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2<>"√",D2="√"),$D$1,"1")))))))

Allows for any value in B1, C1, D1

Upvote 0
View attachment 71425
Sorry got it wrong, in F2
VBA Code:
=IF(AND(B2="√",C2="√",D2="√"),$B$1&$C$1&$D$1,IF(AND(B2="√",C2="√",D2<>"√"),$B$1&$C$1,IF(AND(B2="√",C2<>"√",D2="√"),$B$1&$D$1,IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2="√",D2="√"),$C$1&$D$1,IF(AND(B2="√",C2<>"√",D2<>"√"),$B$1,IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2="√",D2<>"√"),$C$1,IF(AND(B2<>"√",C2<>"√",D2="√"),$D$1,"1")))))))

Allows for any value in B1, C1, D1
Thanks for the formula. Actually in my real spreadsheet, I have 30 columns. Using the formula above would be quite tedious, is there another way to achieve this possibly? And also wondering if the values can be in separate cells (as 3 separate values) rather than combined into one cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back