Formula to find next date in list

SDowse

Board Regular
Hi,

In my spreadsheet I have a sheet called "Stats" with various tables on it, on of which is a list of dates (header is in W1, values are in W2:W14). The dates are calculated by the first date being entered manually by me (just made the list so the first date is today) and the remainder being +14 of the date in the cell above.

What I want is a formula that can work out when the next date in the list is...so, for example, now it would show 18th July as that is the next date. The only way I can think of is doing a string of IF's, but there must be a simpler way of doing it without checking every value in the list?

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I wasnt sure what you wanted the "next date" to be ie after todays or after one in a cell reference?
substitute as necessery
note this formula will need to be entered by selecting control, alt, return rather then the normal return key

=MAX(IF(W2:W8>TODAY(),W2:W8,1000))

Upvote 0
Actullay that should be Control+Shift+Enter.
Not sure about the 1000 for the False.
But you were very close.

Try like this confirm Control+Shift+Enter
=MIN(IF(W2:W14>TODAY(),W2:W14))
that will return the closest day after today

Upvote 0
I am using tables, with dates in one column and prices in another. There might be a week with no prices, then 3 for one date, then 5 prices two days later, etc. I am trying to average the prices for each date that exists in the table (in another worksheet) and and am looking for a way to do this without array formulas. I tried using 1st Date = MIN(Table1[Date]) to get the first date and 2nd Date = Match(1st Date, Table1[Date], 1) to function to populate the next list, but was surprised that neither of these functions will work with the dates in the table. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back