Formula to Identify Largest to Smallest Adjacent Cells

chrismdusa

Board Regular
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm trying to identify/label cells in a range as largest to smallest, by labeling the largest in the range as "1" (placing the "1" in the adjacent cell), the next largest as "2", and so on. I do not want to rearrange the numbers being compared...no sorting. I only want to identify the largest through smallest in the adjacent cells.

In other words, in a worksheet, in cells B1 through B6, I have 421.34 in cell B1, 492.86 in cell B2, 344.59 in cell B3, 507.86 in cell B4, 546.55 in cell B5, and 171.73 in cell B6. These numbers are the result of formulas and may change from time to time. I want use formulas in cells C1 through C6 to automatically have a 1 through 6 appear in each cell in the adjacent range to identify the largest through the smallest numbers in B1 through B6. So in this worksheet, 1 should appear in C5, 2 should appear in C4, 3 in C2, 4 in C1, 5 in C3, and 6 in C6, but all automatically by formulas.

Does anyone have an idea of how this can be done with regular formuls...no macros or VBA? Thanks very much!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Formula different Based Excel Version.
Try Use this:
Excel Formula:
=RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$6,1)
And drag it down.

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks! ......rank! I knew there was a word I was looking for when I typed up the post. It was "rank", lol. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back