Formula to insert names

Glacombe

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon, I have a worksheet that contains employees and their sectors, which we have 14 sectors, what would be the formula to extract all the names from one particular section and add them to another sheet within the workbook?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Add them how? Like a list in the spreadsheet? When you say "extract all the names from one particular section" do you mean to say "from a sector"?

Your question is not clear. Please add some more detail. Sample data, a screenshot, and a mock up of the desired result.

Upvote 0
So sorry for not being clear,
I would like to include all the names from one sector out of the 14 and insert them in another worksheet as a list. My master list has over 50 columns and would like to add about 6 columns in a different sheet from the same master list and add the names matching one particular sector. This is an example of where the names would be added.
NameA/AI/P/R
Level​
RatingMarch 31/2020 Salary% of Max
Salary Increase​
April 1/2020 Salary​

Thanks

Upvote 0
So, what is the connection with the table you just posted? It's neither 50 columns nor 6 and it doesn't help illustrate anything. What is the sector? Where is the source data? Which rows of the source data example would you want to include in the result?

We need the structure of the source with a few rows of data, AND the structure of the result with a few rows of data mocked up. Otherwise, how do you expect us to come up with a formula or other solution if you don't show where the data is and where the condition is that you base your selection on?

Upvote 0
Sorry again the above is the results of the columns on my worksheet. I have 126 names total in my master worksheet and 14 sectors. For example one of the sector is called AEB. From that master, i want to have all the employees that matches that sector (AEB) inserted to a different worksheet. Also on my master worksheet the above columns identified are included.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm really failing to get this across.

If you expect us to provide a solution, we need to know the structure of your file. You have not posted what your source looks like. What column has the sector data?

There are a few different ways to approach this, but without knowing a bit more about your setup, it's hard to get into details.

Try Advanced Filter and send the data to a new sheet. How to do that? Post info about your data structure and we can work it out.

Or, create a pivot table and filter by the desired sector. How to do that? Well, post info about your data structure and we can tell you how.

Or, if you want a formula, post information about your data structure. A screenshot, a set of sample data.

Upvote 0
Sorry, the data is confidential therefore, cannot post much, my document has 156 names (rows) and 14 sectors, it also contains over 50 columns, I would like to create a different sheet for each of the Sector and on each Sector sheet would like to get the names from the 156 in my master sheet that works in that particular sector. For example, there are 21 people working in HR, in the HR sheet, would like to insert from the master sheet, all the names from HR.

Thanks and again so sorry to be confusing

Upvote 0
I don't care about your original file. Create a sample file that has the same structure and change the names to dummy names. Use the seven dwarves or something. I don't need 156 names. Ten will do fine, if they belong to different sectors.

How will Excel know which sector a person belongs to? I need to know what that looks like in your spreadsheet. I don't need you to describe the spreadsheet with generic words like "21 people working in HR". That does NOT tell me in which column you have the name or in which column you have the sector, or if the name and the sector may even be in the same cell. I need to see what you see to be able to suggest a formula.

It's like giving you directions for a town I've never been to without being able to see the map of the town.

Upvote 0
Ok will make a dummy sheet on Friday
Thanks and I do apologize for all the confusion

Upvote 0
Good morning
Here is an example of the data needed to extract from my master file

Audit and Evaluation
2019-2020
NameA/AI/P/R
Level​
RatingMarch 31/2020 Salary% of Max
Salary Increase​
April 1/2020 Salary​
#N/A
#N/A​
#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
#N/A
#N/A​
#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A
#N/A
#N/A​
#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A

What I would like is insert the names above that matches the ones that work in Audit and Evaluation

Here is an example of my master sheet
BranchNameA/P/S/IClassPRIM/FDate app't to levelMarch 31/19 salaryJrateVariance% of maxRating% eligible in-rangeSalary increaseFinal salary April 1/19%
at-risk
At-risk amount% bonusBonus amountTotal lump sum amountMax at-risk % + BonusMax allowable amountCommentsSUB LEVELSALARY
SUB
A/P LEVELSALARY
A/P
A/P2 LEVELSALARY
A/P2
A/P3 LEVELSALARY
A/P3
PRO-RATED
SUB LUMP SUM
PRO-RATED A/P LUMP SUMPRO-RATED A/P2 LUMP SUMPRO-RATED A/P3 LUMP SUMSTART
SUB
END
SUB
MONTHS
AT SUB
START SUB2END SUB2MONTHS AT SUB2START
A/P
END
A/P
MONTHS
AT A/P
START
A/P2
END
A/P2
MONTHS
AT A/P2
START A/P3END A/P3MONTHS
AT A/P3
TOTAL
MONTHS
TOTAL
PRO-RATED
SALARY
FRE OR ENG2019-2020 RATING2018-2019 RATING2019-2020 TM PLACEMENT2018-2019 TM PLACEMENTFIRST NAMELAST NAME
IBSDBBonnie
SCIAmy
PPBGeorge
AEBMichael
PPBFred
OpsTom
OpsCarol
AEBPaul
PPBMonica
PresOPrice
PPBChantal
AEBMonique
IABPierre
OpsDenis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back