Suppose I have a spreadsheet that looks something like this

File1004"Input Cell" ->1006
File1005"Return Occurrence" ->3
File1006
File1007
etc.

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need a formula in C2 that looks through column A to find the cell that contains "File"&C1. This can be done easily by using an Index Match formula (=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("*"&C1,A:A,0))).

What I need it to return, however, is what occurrence of "File*" has just been found. This could be done using another MATCH formula if they were sequential and the first file began on row 1. Unfortunately, there is other stuff in column A between the "File*" cells. In my previous example, there could be two rows between "File1004" and "File1005." Then six rows between "File 1005" and "File 1006".

To summarize: I need a formula in C2 that says "Cell C1 is 1028. "File1028" is the 37th occurrence of "File*" in column A if counting from the top. Return value "37".

Thank you all for any help! I hope I explained that well. I'm happy to clarify if you have any questions.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Just dump the INDEX part of your formula

I wish I could :( that's what I was trying to clarify in my second paragraph. If the list of "File*"s started in row 1 and occurred every row, it would be easy and I could simply use your formula. However, there are sporadic, other data in between each instance of "File*" in column A. Because of that, I really need to look through column A, count the "File*" cells and return the number of the order of my cell's occurrence.

Upvote 0
Hi,

OK so we still need to find the row but we can then use that to create a range using indirect and count the instances of File*

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("A1:A"&MATCH("*"&C1,A:A,0)),"File*")

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MATCH("File"&C1,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("|"&"File","|"&$A$1:$A$100)),$A$1:$A$100,0))

Is this what you are after?

Upvote 0
Mike, that works absolutely perfectly! Thank you so much!

Aladin, yours returns the row number that the cell is in which is helpful but not quite what I was looking for. Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0
Does this normally-entered, non-Volatile formula give you the result you are looking for...

=COUNTIF(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,MATCH("File"&C1,A:A,0)),"File*")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danni317

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back