Formula to return the last word in a cell

bkaehny

Board Regular
Hi all,

I have a column containing full names of people, where each part of their name is separated by a space (e.g. John Smith, John Q Public, Herald van der Schnossen). Some of these names contain middle initials or middle names, some contain just the first and last name, and some even have multiple middle names. I need to separate out just the last name using a formula. Can this be done? I can envision one the uses some iferrors, mids, and finds, but it would quickly become long and cumbersome to adjust. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm using Excel 2010, btw.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi,

Another possible solution based on njimack's example might be:
Excel Workbook
ABC
1John SmithSmithSmith
2John Q PublicPublicPublic
3Herald van der SchnossenSchnossenSchnossen
Sheet1
Excel 2010
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=MID(A1,MATCH(2,INDEX(1/(MID(A1,ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,1000)),1)=" "),0))+1,1000)
#VALUE!
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.Note, the second example in column C requires CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER as it is an array formula, the first one doesn't.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have a column containing full names of people, where each part of their name is separated by a space (e.g. John Smith, John Q Public, Herald van der Schnossen). Some of these names contain middle initials or middle names, some contain just the first and last name, and some even have multiple middle names. I need to separate out just the last name using a formula. Can this be done? I can envision one the uses some iferrors, mids, and finds, but it would quickly become long and cumbersome to adjust. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm using Excel 2010, btw.
If you want the last word regardless if the last name is a multiple word name then try this:

Book1
AB
2John SmithSmith
3CherCher
4John Q PublicPublic
5Herald van der SchnossenSchnossen
Sheet1

This formula entered in B2 and copied down:

=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",255)),255))

Upvote 0
If you want the last word regardless if the last name is a multiple word name then try this:

Book1
*AB
2John SmithSmith
3CherCher
4John Q PublicPublic
5Herald van der SchnossenSchnossen
Sheet1

Thanks for the additional solutions, people. Can you explain to me why that works, T. Valko?

Edit: I figured it out. That's another ingenius solution. I love how smart the people on this board are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sheet1

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 182px"><COL style="WIDTH: 78px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">John Smith</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Smith</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Cher</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Cher</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">John Q Public</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Public</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Herald van der Schnossen</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Schnossen</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks for the additional solutions, people. Can you explain to me why that works, T. Valko?

Edit: I figured it out. That's another ingenius solution. I love how smart the people on this board are.
Ok, for those that would like to know how that works...

Let's assume cell A2 = John J. Smith

We use the SUBSTITUTE and REPT functions to replace the single space characters with long strings of space characters. In this case I've used 255 spaces.

The underscores represent a space character. Imagine there are 255 of them between each word in the string. The cell entry will look something like this:

John__________J.__________Smith

Then we use the RIGHT function and extract 255 characters starting from the right-most character. That would look something like this:

_______Smith

Then we use the TRIM function to strip off the leading space characters and we're left with the last word in the cell:

Smith

Upvote 0
That's a very good explanation but I'm left with just one important question.

What kind of ice cream???

:LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back