Formula to search a range of cells and then compare dates

shakeregg

Hey all,

Hopefully this makes sense!

I've got a long list of names in Column E (first name in E4) and I want to search Column AF which contains a different set of names. If there is a match I would like to compare the contents (dates) of two other cells (G and X). If the date in X is equal to or less than the date in G return a 'Yes'.

eg.......... Compare E4 with AF:AF............ There is a MATCH in AF22 so G4 is compared with X22.
Compare E8 with AF:AF............ There is a MATCH in AF6 so G8 is compared with X6 etc etc.

Cheers in advance!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
put this in row 4 and copy down, adjust range to suit

=IF(INDEX(X:X,MATCH(E4,$F$1:$AF$A15,0))<=G4,"Yes","No")

Upvote 0
Cheers AlanY............ appreciate it

Still new to this so when you say adjust range to suit.......... assuming it's $F$1:$AF$A15. I'm wanting to match a cell in E with AF:AF so would this just be $AF$:$AF$?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Cheers AlanY............ appreciate it

Still new to this so when you say adjust range to suit.......... assuming it's $F$1:$AF$A15. I'm wanting to match a cell in E with AF:AF so would this just be $AF$:$AF$?

Cheers

I guess a small correction is needed in the formula suggested by AlanY in post#2
=IF(INDEX(X:X,MATCH(E4,$F$1:$AF$A15,0))<=G4,"Yes","No").

It should be
=IF(INDEX(X:X,MATCH(E4,$AF$1:$AF$15,0))<=G4,"Yes","No")
i.e. with an A immediately after the first $ sign and also without the A in between $AF$ and 15

Adjusting the range would mean to change the row numbers in "$AF$1:$AF$15". I'm thinking could possibly be "$AF$4:$AF$22" or more!

HTH!

Upvote 0
Aaaah okey doke......cheers!

Just for clarification.............. will the above formula identify a specific cell in Column X?

eg.......... I want to Compare a name in E4 with names in Column AF............ Say there is an exact MATCH in AF22. As it's AF22 I then want to then compare X22 and only X22 with G4 to see if they match. If the exact match was AF46 I would instead want to compare X46 with G4.

Upvote 0
Ha true! ;)

Just tried and it's coming up with a #N/A when I input the formula......... scratch of the head moment. Any further help would be really appreciated!

Upvote 0
Ok, lets break it down, what do you get if you use
=INDEX(X1:X15,MATCH(E4,AF1:AF15,0))
change the X15 & AF15 to match the last row of data

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In that case it can't find an exact match for E4 in col AF
What sort of values do you have?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back