WednesdayC

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All

I found the following formula which almost gives the results I require:-

<style>table { }.font5 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 700; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }.font6 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }td { padding: 0px; color: windowtext; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl102 { background: rgb(216, 228, 188) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; }.xl103 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl104 { font-family: Calibri; }</style>
=IF(A3<>A2,SUM($M$2:M2)-SUM($N$1:N1),"")

<colgroup><col style="width:75pt" width="75"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

However, this places the result on the last entry of N before the values in column A changes.

I need the result to be in the first cell of N per group i.e. the first entry of any batch of identical cell values in A, and I can't work out how to adapt this.

I do not wish to use the sub-total function.

Can this be achieved please?

Many thanks

Wednesday

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
The formula you've shown is probably intended to be insterted in some cell in row 2 and copied down
you may try:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]=IF(A2<>A1,SUM($M$1:M1)-SUM($N$1:N1)+sumif(A:A,A2,M:M)-sumif(A:A,A2,N:N),"")[/FONT][/COLOR]
and copy it down
This assumess that values in column A are grouped, so after
x
x
x
y
y
y
z
z
z
you do not get x again in column A (all x-es ate at the top positions).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In cell N2 try this, copied down after adjusting the $1000 if necessary to be something below the last row of your data.

=IF(A2=A1,"",SUM(M2:M$1000)-SUM(N3:N$1000))

Note that it will not show the correct results until you have copied it down column N.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Kaper

Thank you for your reply.
I am sure your formula works, but since posting, I found another formula which is a lot simpler for me to understand!

It is as follows:- <style>table { }.font5 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 700; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }.font6 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }td { padding: 0px; color: windowtext; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl102 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl103 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl104 { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Courier; vertical-align: middle; }</style>

<style>table { }.font5 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 700; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }.font6 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }td { padding: 0px; color: windowtext; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl102 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl103 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl104 { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Courier; vertical-align: middle; }</style>
<style>table { }.font5 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 700; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }.font6 { color: black; font-size: 9pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; }td { padding: 0px; color: windowtext; font-size: 11pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial, serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl102 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl103 { font-family: Calibri; }.xl104 { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Courier; vertical-align: middle; }</style>
=IF(A2=A1,"",SUMIF(A:A,A2,N:N))

So I have decided to go with this one.

Thank you for your time

Regards
Wednesday

</tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi Peter

Thank you very much for your help.

I have decided to use the following formula, as it is a little shorter. I found it online after posting:-

=IF(A2=A1,"",SUMIF(A:A,A2,N:N))

Regards

Wednesday

</tbody>

Upvote 0
I have decided to use the following formula, ..
That's fine if it works for your circumstances. We didn't have any sample data to go on so was not sure if all your groups are unique.
For example, if it was possible to have data like below, your formula gives incorrect results for the coloured groups whereas mine would treat each of those groups individually.
Anyway, I guess you don't have that situation so it doesn't matter. :)

Excel Workbook
AMNO
2a1178
3a2
4a3
5a2
6b54646
7b1
8b40
9c444
10a5179
11a4
12e166
13e2
14e3
Sum Groups

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Peter

I see what you mean. Yes, all my groups are unique. I will keep hold of your formula though, as I may encounter a situation where the groups aren't unique.

Thanks again for your help.

Wednesday

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back