formula to text string?

rootbeer001

i am a computer teacher, and i am trying to make a quiz for my students. i want to test their knowledge on using formulas, functions, and absolute cell references.

i want to be able to have the spreadsheet "grade" itself, so i need a way to have excel check a formula (ie. =A2+$G$1) to tell me that the absolute cell reference was used properly.

i was thinking of converting the formula to a string and comparing it to "=A2+$G$1", but have not been able to find an answer.

any suggestions? my programming skills are horrible, so if you suggest vba, please explain in detail.

thanks!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
it's a good start, but doing that will compare the values instead of the formulas/text string. thanks for the suggestion. will keep trying.....

Upvote 0
found what i needed. had to create a custom function, but luckily someone else had this same issue on the boards awhile back. thanks!

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33170

to clarify:

i want students to use absolute cell references to perform some calculations. i want their spreadsheet to tell them they are using the proper formula by comparing the formula (does =A2+$G$1 equal the formula they type in), not by comparing the values, because kids will put =A2+G1. it results in the same value, but they did not use absolute cell references.

thanks for your help steve!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back