Formula too Long Error

moneytastesbad

Board Regular
I have a sheet that refrences cells in another workbook. Due to the long name of the other workbook, I am running into an Formula Too Long Error.

I see on Excel Help that formulas are limited to 1,024 characters.

Is there any kind of workaround for this other than renaming the file?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi,

perhaps you can shorten the formula itself ?
example: replace nested IFs by a VLOOKUP

or cut it into parts
example of cutting to several cells
=IF(AND(A1 = "yes",B1 = "no"), "OK", "not OK")
you could put
=AND(A1 = "yes",B1 = "no") in C1
and shorten the formula to
=IF(C1, "OK", "not OK")

else INDIRECT might be an option
example
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=238871&highlight=indirect

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Here is the formula that I am working with....sorta.

Code:
SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(OrigDatCopy!G4:G352,5)="SAPMR"),--(OrigDatCopy!J4:J352="EXP"),--(RIGHT(OrigDatCopy!$H$4:$H$352,3)<>"INT"),((OrigDatCopy!P2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!P4:P352))+((OrigDatCopy!V2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!V4:V352))+((OrigDatCopy!AB2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!AB4:AB352))+((OrigDatCopy!AH2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!AH4:AH352))+((OrigDatCopy!AN2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!AN4:AN352))+((OrigDatCopy!AT2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!AT4:AT352))+((OrigDatCopy!AZ2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!AZ4:AZ352))+((OrigDatCopy!BF2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!BF4:BF352))+((OrigDatCopy!BL2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!BL4:BL352))+((OrigDatCopy!BR2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!BR4:BR352))+((OrigDatCopy!BX2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!BX4:BX352))+((OrigDatCopy!CD2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!CD4:CD352))+((OrigDatCopy!CJ2>TODAY())*(OrigDatCopy!CJ4:CJ352)))

This formula is what I am using to solve a problem I posted about here
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=238803&highlight=

This is actualy slightly different than the one I am working on now, but it is basicly the same. The difference is it is refering to a sheet in a workbook called: FY07 Corporate IT Project Summary August Baseline (version 1).xls] so that workbook title needs to be added before each cell reference. I also need to add another critera for it to sort by.

Does this make any sense?

Do you have any suggestions for the original problem that dose not require such a long formula?

Upvote 0
Do you have any suggestions for the original problem that dose not require such a long formula?
cut it into parts
other suggestions
shorten the sheetname
put formula in original workbook and refer to that cell

INDIRECT looks too complicated to me in this case

Upvote 0
have you considered using named ranges? Simplifies reading the formula as well as shortening its overall length.

Upvote 0
moneytastesbad

This is not aimed directly at solving your problem (though it would shorten the formula marginally), but rather at making formulas more efficient.

I note that you have used the TODAY() function many times in this formula. This function is 'volatile' and its repeated use in a sheet can slow the calculation of the sheet noticeably. A suggestion is to put the formula =TODAY() in an unused (and possibly hidden) cell (say IV1) and then refer to that cell in your formulas. So your formula would start off like this:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(OrigDatCopy!G4:G352,5)="SAPMR"),--(OrigDatCopy!J4:J352="EXP"),--(RIGHT(OrigDatCopy!$H$4:$H$352,3)<>"INT"),((OrigDatCopy!P2>IV1)*(OrigDatCopy!P4:P352))+((OrigDatCopy!V2>IV1)*(OrigDatCopy!V4:V352))+((OrigDatCopy!AB2>IV1)*...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back