Formula vs. Data Overhead

litrelord

Hi,

I have two tables which share some common data and I was wondering if I'd save any overhead in the workbook by transferring some fo this data to a separate table and using vlookups to retrieve it instead fo having all of the raw data repeated. I've tried both and haven't seen any noticeable difference yet but as the workbook grows it may become more apparent so I'd like to make any changes I can whilst it's still in it's infancy.

The data tables that contain this data/formulas will have a variety of pivots/sumifs/countifs depending on them (not sure if that makes any difference).

I tried searching here and google to find some stats regarding data vs. formulas in regards to file size and processing time but couldn't find any. I may, of course, be searching for the wrong terms!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
OK, seems all I needed to do was write out this question to realise it was quite simple to find out myself!

Cell A1 with data and the rest of row 1 pointing to it vs. the whole of row 1 containing the same data gives a file twice the size!

So flat data, even if repeated often, works better than a formula.

Think I got carried away thinking in terms of relational databases and tried to normalize my spreadsheet :(

Thanks for reading anyway

Nick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back