Formula won't copy down in Excel table

csenor

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all. I have a large dataset with 30 columns of data and over 1,000 rows. The table used to get updated by a connection to an Access database. I also have a column controlled by a macro that updates the date if something in the row was changed. It is formatted as an Excel table and was before I disconnected it from Access. No formulas will copy down any longer. Any suggestions?

If I highlight the entire table and convert to a range and turn it back into an Excel Table, is anything going to get messed up?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
One reason formula won't copy down automatically, is if the column does not contain the same formula in every cell.

Converting to a range might be ok, but when you turn it back to a table, any formula that looks at the table will use normal references, rather than table references.
Not sure what would happen however if you have any pivots or PQ looking at the table.

Upvote 0
One reason formula won't copy down automatically, is if the column does not contain the same formula in every cell.

Converting to a range might be ok, but when you turn it back to a table, any formula that looks at the table will use normal references, rather than table references.
Not sure what would happen however if you have any pivots or PQ looking at the table.
So I copied all of the data from my table and pasted just values into a new sheet. Created a new table. Remade my first formula to concatenate names in the columns next to it. When I hit enter, it didn't copy down. I double clicked on the bottom right and it copied down to the second to last row where I was hoping it would copy the formula and concatenate the last row. It stopped at the second to last row.

I tested it again by making another range of two date columns somewhere else on the sheet and converting that to an excel table. I made a third column and did a logical test to see if numbers existed in each row. The formula worked there. Why won't the dates in my real dataset be recognized as numbers?

Upvote 0
Are they actual dates or text? If you format the cells as general, do you see a date or a 5 digit number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back