Formula

printtech

Hello, I am looking for some formulas, I been pulling my hair out the last 3 weeks looking through posts and online help without a solution, So I hope some one can help. :eek:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The first formula I am looking for is: Easy one but I may not be doing a correct search.<o:p></o:p>
Get data from a cell from one worksheet and have it displayed on another worksheet on and other cell<o:p></o:p>
Example:<o:p></o:p>
I have a worksheet named Master and another worksheet named March<o:p></o:p>
I need the data from G4 of March to display on the worksheet Master on C-16<o:p></o:p>
The Second formula I am looking for is:<o:p></o:p>
Get the workbook name that is located in a subfolder to be displayed in column A of a workbook/worksheet.<o:p></o:p>
Example:<o:p></o:p>
The workbook is named Master Payroll Workbook 2012.xls it is in a folder and there are other folders in this as well named 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 these are the years.<o:p></o:p>
In each year folder is 12 more folders named January to December. These are the Monthly folders.<o:p></o:p>
In the monthly folders there maybe 20 to 25 .XLS files named with the dates we did payroll. <o:p></o:p>
Example 3-6-12.xls 3-7-12.xls 3-9 -12.xls so on!<o:p></o:p>
Lets Say I have Master Payroll Workbook 2012. xls.

Now in this workbook, I open the worksheet March in cell A-4 there will be the name 3-6-12.xls

This name came from /2012/March/3-6-2012.xls.

A-5 may have 3-7-12.xls

A-6 may have 3-9-12.xls in it and so on until this month is done.<o:p></o:p>
I was hoping to save time by having a formula’s in there to get the names without going though hours of typing each date on every month.<o:p></o:p>
Basically: <o:p></o:p>
I am trying to create a Master Payroll Workbook 2012 that will pull the total checks for the week from each payroll workbooks we created so we can see if the check amounts are increasing or decreasing.<o:p></o:p>
In this Master Payroll Workbook 2012 I named the first sheet Master Totals It will have monthly and year totals on it pulled from other work sheets.<o:p></o:p>
I also made 12 additional worksheets and named them January to December in this Master Payroll Workbook 2012<o:p></o:p>
Now each monthly sheets in the Master Payroll Workbook 2012 will have<o:p></o:p>
Example: <o:p></o:p>
January <o:p></o:p>
Column A Column B<o:p></o:p>
Work Sheet Date Check Total<o:p></o:p>
1-1-12 36<o:p></o:p>
1-3-12 56<o:p></o:p>
1-5-12 12<o:p></o:p>
Check Totals 104 this total will be displayed on Master Totals named monthly.<o:p></o:p>
I will explain our process briefly so it will aid in helping out in my formulas.<o:p></o:p>
When we do our check printing we go into what we call BLANK CHECK WORKBOOK. <o:p></o:p>
This workbook has all the information on it and the cells locked except the cells you need to enter the check range and amount.<o:p></o:p>
The BLANK CHECK WORKBOOK adds the check amounts below in C-43 of the workbook. We could have 20 check cycles per day <o:p></o:p>
Example: <o:p></o:p>
Column A Column B Column C<o:p></o:p>
Check Cycle <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Check</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Range</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> Amount<o:p></o:p>
Checks Cycle 1 202 to 213 12<o:p></o:p>
Checks Cycle 2 214 to 215 2<o:p></o:p>
Checks Cycle 3 216 to 220 5<o:p></o:p>
Total Checks Printed 19 <<<<<< This is C-43<o:p></o:p>
Once this is done we save the work book as Example 1-1-2012, It shows in the saved folder as 1-1-2012.xls<o:p></o:p>
We do this for each day we get checks in so, we can have 5 workbooks a week all named with the date.<o:p></o:p>
Note. I some cases that they want special runs and to be separate we will have 2 workbooks day and one will have be named <o:p></o:p>
Example: 1-1-2012a.xls and the other 1-1-2012b.xls <o:p></o:p>
We have a lot of workbooks since 2008 we like to get a reference to see how may checks were are decreasing a month and a year.<o:p></o:p>
We are just trying to find a easier solution.<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi,

On the first part of your question: In C16 of master, put =march!G4

An easy way to do this is:

Select master C16
Type =
Select march C4
Hit enter

The formula is created automatically.

The same principle can be applied across work books. In the cel where you want the other data to appear, simply type = and then go to the cell in the other sheet or book where you want to data from, select it and press enter.

Hope this helps

Eddie de Jong

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back