formulas and different functions

lchambers

Hey there i am currently working on a spreadsheet involving a whole lot of formulas and im trying to figure out the sum of a few things. the first is the total hours spent on each task in a project (ie: painting, tear out, doors, flooring) the second is each employees total time on one whole project and the last is total time on project(all employees.

Right now i have my spreadsheet set up in sheet 1 (total hours) , week 1, week 2, week 3, and so on. on each week i have a code for each employee (ie: Joe is A, Evan is B) each task is in the vertical column and each day of the week is split between employee and time worked on that particular task. on the right hand vertical column is total hours for each task throughout the week. on the bottom of the page i have a a=joe total hours = =SUMIF(D6:P35,"*A*",E6:Q35) which is ok.

on some tasks on the same day i have joe and evan working together so employee column might say A+B and time spent is 4 hours. Which means the employees total time worked on project would be correct BUT the total man hours on the entire project would have to double those 4 hours as there was 2 people.

As of right now my total man hours right column isnt accurate, can someone help me fix this??

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi

I don't wish any offence, but your spreadsheet design is poor.
Change the layout now - it will savea lot of heartache in the future

A Week
B Employee
C Project
D Hours

Now it is easy to Summarise with formulae, or better still with a Pivot Table.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Roger, if it is not too late i suggest you redesign the sheet.
However, if it cannot be redesigned; can't you add Joe and Evan as seperate records?
Meaning, instead of Joe + Evan 4 hours, can't you say:
Joe 2 hours
Evan 2 hours?

Upvote 0
no offence taken Ive quickly realized how poor it is set up. I have modeled my spreadsheet after the same timesheet that staff hands in on a project. I dont mind remodeling it as this will be very useful for all future projects but i can not seem to wrap my brain around another way of doing it. I have multiple employes and multiple days also multiple tasks i am currently trying to find a way to upload a picture as an example

Upvote 0
y6KrYXW
imgur: the simple image sharer

Upvote 0
You should design it as simple as Roger suggested

A Week
B Employee
C Project
D Hours

After you populate the data in a format mentioned above, you can always createa pivot table to make the data look like your existing layout.

Upvote 0
Hi
What I was suggesting was

A...................B........................C..........................D
Date Employee Project Hours
01 Feb 14 JIm A 6
01 Feb 14 Fred A 4
01 Feb 14 Harry B 8

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelhelp12345

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back