Formulas and regional settings

wpryan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I have a spreadsheet that I developed on a Windows 7 computer, with an English OS and Swiss German keyboard. Regional settings are for Swiss German keyboard and number format. This file is shared amongst a large group of people around the world.
In it, there is a range with a simple formula:
Code:
<c31-b31;d31>=IF(ISBLANK(D31);"";IF(OR(D31 < C31-B31;D31 > C31+B31);"Fail";"Pass"))
If the regional settings of the computers are set to anything other than Swiss German, the users get a #Value error. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is the case.

...any help is appreciated.</c31-b31;d31>

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Care to show what you exactly have in B31, C31, and D31? If these cells contain true numbers (true dates or true time values, etc.), there should arise no problems.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. All cells are formatted as numbers, to three decimal points.

Upvote 0
Hello,

just guessing:

in German and obviously Swiss German formulas in the worksheet the separator is a ";", in english versions it is a ",". But to my understanding xl should adopt automatically.

Grützi

Upvote 0
I think you're on to something... Cell B31 has a formula as well, which is dependent on the entry of another cell in the workbook. The formula is:
Code:
=IF(OR('General Data'!$B$10="Crystal or Classic";'General Data'!$B$10="Z2");"0.100";"0.015")
However, cell B31 is formatted as a number, with 3 decimal places. It looks like the formula is overriding the formatting of the cell. How can I force a numerical value here?

Upvote 0
Remove the quotes around the numbers in the formula.

Upvote 0
Duh! Thanks for that, I was having a brain fart for a minute...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back