Formulas disappearing from cell but result still there

steminist2788

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am having trouble with excel showing the resulting values of formulas that I have typed in but the formula has disappeared. The cells dependent upon the formula do not change when I change the number in the previous cell. Some of the formulas I am using are simple like 1+1=2. The cell will show the value (2) but not the formula (=1+1). Has anyone come across this? I am not using any macros, I checked in the Formulas tab to make sure the Hidden box is not checked. I tried hitting CTRL~ to show all formulas but those cells still just contain a value and not the formula. A lot of the work I am doing in this sheet is dependent on the value in another cell, but since the formulas keep disappearing, the values don't change when the other value is changed. Any ideas on how to help?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Check on the Status Bar at the bottom of the sheet. Check if you have circular reference. This may cause the problem. One of the formula in the sheet keep looping.

Upvote 0
I downloaded a csv file and was working in that without saving it as an xlsx file first. That was why. Thanks for your response!

Upvote 0
I downloaded a csv file and was working in that without saving it as an xlsx file first. That was why. Thanks for your response!
Aaaa... So far I have just imported data from csv. Did not know about that behavior.

I hate to not able to see file extension. That is why I make it visible on my PC :)

Thanks for update.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back