Formulas: mix INDEX&MATCH with IFERROR

cozzagiorgi

Hi there!

What a great community this is! I already found many answers to my excel questions, but here is one I can’t seem to find:

I want to build a table which picks musicians according to their instrument from an Excel list. I have built something you can look at here:

https://app.box.com/s/oh2b9csnr2j0o1gt0rin8yum5gle99cp

Ranges A, B and C are my Database, which instrument is played by which musician and in what priority I want to have him in my ensemble.

Range E specifies the instrumentation I need for this particular orchestra.
Range F does an INDEX&MATCH formula to find musicians who play the instrument I want. The formula is: =INDEX(B:B,MATCH(E3,A:A,0)).

And this is where the problems begin: As I want more than one clarinet to play in my ensemble, I need the INDEX&MATCH function to give me only unique values. I know how to find only unique values with the formula I have put in range G, but can I mix these two formulas?
Formula is: {=IFERROR(INDEX($F$2:$F$15, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($G$1:G1, $F$2:$F$15), 0)), "")}

And now the EXTRASUPERBONUSPOINT goes to someone who can find a formula which also considers the priority I have given to the musicians to play in my ensemble. E.g: Whitley Leonard is my choice number one on Clarinet, for the second Clarinet I would like to see Fuentes Eaton (Priority 1), not Delaney Flynn (Priority 2, but right after Whitley Leonard in the database).

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Of course a vba solution would also be welcome.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Try this array formula in F2 copied down
=INDEX(B$2:B$81,MATCH(1,IF(A$2:A$81=E2,IF(ISNA(MATCH(B$2:B$81,F$1:F1,0)),IF(C$2:C$81=SMALL(IF(A$2:A$81=E2,IF(ISNA(MATCH(B$2:B$81,F$1:F1,0)),C$2:C$81)),1),1))),0))
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back