Formulas not converging

dwells

Hi,
I was hoping someone can help me with a convergence problem. I am attempting to replicate the following online video that details how to calculate a simple rating system for football teams: Excel Iterative Tutorial - Sports-Reference's library

However, I cannot get the formulas to converge on an answer when I turn on iterations.

To summarize, I have calcualted a margin of error for a number of football games (first 7 weeks in 2009) (first sheet, column I), then created averages of those margins for every team using a simple array formula (second sheet, column B).

The simple rating system score (SRS) is a sum of the average margin of victory plus the average of your opponents SRS. As you can see, this involves multiple formulas that need to converge. First sheet, column J has the numbers that should be the SRS of each of the opponents, but right now is a VLOOKUP to their average margin of victory so that it is not constantly iterating (I search and replace ,2 to ,4 to make it look at the SRS column on the second sheet to begin the calculations).

You can download my small workbook (no macros) here, since this may not be the clearest explanation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzr6jaapQdMRUi11OTFOV1B1Tkk/view?usp=sharing

When I begin the calculations, it runs through however many thousands of iterations I set as the limit, but it does not converge, just keeps pushing all of the numbers up and up. In the video, it seems to converge pretty quickly. I have searched for answers and have not found any guidance on this type of problem.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
-D

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I don't know what the problem is. I do notice your MGN are significantly different values than in the video. Everything else appears to be comparable.

Upvote 0
I noticed that and figured that he was using a home field modifier so the home team got an additional 1.35 to their margin of victory and the away team lost. I did not think that would effect the the ability of the formulas to resolve since it is applied equally across the board.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back