Formulas that don't return an answer

imported_unknown

I input a formula such as, =a2, hit return and the cell reflects "=a2". It does not caluclate and give the value in cell a2. I have tried formatting the field, but to no avail. What I end up having to do is insert a column or go to a blank column not begin used and input the formula there, it will work and then copy past it over to the place I want it. This generally happens with worksheets I receive from others - so it must be some sort of formatting feature I'm not aware of how to undo. Any ideas on what could cause this? Thank you. Marie

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
On 2002-10-04 07:54, Amileaux wrote:
I input a formula such as, =a2, hit return and the cell reflects "=a2". It does not caluclate and give the value in cell a2. I have tried formatting the field, but to no avail. What I end up having to do is insert a column or go to a blank column not begin used and input the formula there, it will work and then copy past it over to the place I want it. This generally happens with worksheets I receive from others - so it must be some sort of formatting feature I'm not aware of how to undo. Any ideas on what could cause this? Thank you. Marie

Replace "=" with "=" via Find (without quotes).

Upvote 0
I misspoke - I input the formula without quotes - what I meant to convey is that I hit enter and the formula stays in the cell as =a2 (or whatever the formula is that I input) and does not return a value.

Upvote 0
Are running the formula within returned data - i.e. if you could run a report from another program and save it as xls, when you try to add formulas within the report range it won't work.

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-04 08:40, Amileaux wrote:
I misspoke - I input the formula without quotes - what I meant to convey is that I hit enter and the formula stays in the cell as =a2 (or whatever the formula is that I input) and does not return a value.

You have a formula in some cell. The formula is just:

=A2

but what all you get to see in the formula cell is the formula itself, not the value of A2. Assuming that "Formulas" is NOT checked on the View tab (under Tools|Options), you can do the following:

Activate Edit|Find.
Type = in the box for Find what.
Activate the Replace button.
Type = in the Replace with box.

Upvote 0
It's because the cells are formatted as Text. Format the cells as General (or some other format) before you enter your formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back